03: the selfie project

"The project will be due just before we leave for Thanksgiving Break. Starting tomorrow I will give you 20 minutes at the end of each class to meet with your partner and discuss. You will have to meet outside of the classroom, though, so I suggest if you don't like your partner you try to tolerate them." He stares directly at me during the last part of his sentence. He must've noticed my eye roll and outburst that I just barely held back.

Why me?

Mr. Gaines must have known that I dislike him and decided to use it against me. What kind of teacher does that? Almost all of my teacher's love me.

"Class is dismissed." Most people rush to get out, probably heading to their lunch period or a free hour, but I stay back.

"Um, Mr. Gaines? Can I speak with you about my partner?" I say once everyone has cleared out.

"What about him?" He says without looking up from his laptop.

"Is there any way I could switch?"

"I've already said, no switches, your partner is permanent. Learn to like him."

"But Mr. Gaines!" I yell.

He finally looks up, slightly startled. I'm usually quiet, unless provoked of course. "You will not talk to me like that, young lady! Go to your next class while I'm still feeling reluctant enough to not give you a detention!"

I groan and walk out. Of course, Nick's locker is just across the hall from Mr. Gaines' room. We lock eyes and he gives me a glare. I scoff and continue walking.

Ugh, he's so annoying. I can't believe he's even acting like he doesn't know me. Like we weren't best friends a mere 6 years ago. That's like, one-twelfth of the average human life span. And the worst part is, everyone loves him. He's attractive, so what? Okay, so maybe he's also kinda smart and athletic and rich but don't these people have values? Why don't they choose their friends based off of their qualities, because it seems to me like Nick is a pretty terrible person. Who threatens to destroy someone? And for God's sake, who even has an ego big enough to think that they could? Nick, apparently. And the worst part is, he might be able to.

Later that day, right before my last period to be exact, I close my locker to find Nick there. Again. How wonderful.

"Look, Mr. Gaines said that we'll have to work on the project outside of school. I know you don't like me anymore than I like you, which is not at all. But I can't fail his class and this project is worth 35% of our grade so I suggest we get over it for the next few weeks."

"Don't worry about it, superstar, I'll get it done and I'll make sure to slap your name on it somewhere." That's how most of my partner projects went. Whether they forced me to or not, I did all the work unless it was with Ethan or Lacy. It wasn't just that some people weren't willing, but also that most people at this school were intolerable and it was easiest to just offer to do it all on my own.

They always accepted when I proposed it. That's why I was surprised when this came out of Nick's mouth, "Oh no, I am not giving you the chance to make me look bad. We will meet and do this project together, whether you like it or not."

"I'm not trying to make you look bad," I say with an accusatory look on my face.

He rolls his eyes and says, "Yeah, right. You seem like the type to have some kind of unresolved imaginary vengeance against me."

I roll my eyes right back at him and say, "Fine. When can we meet?"

"Do you have any free hours?" He asks.

"4th period," I reply casually. Watch him not be able to meet.

"What about after school tomorrow?" He offers.