Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

When Lyndsey woke up the next morning she felt totally back to normal, almost as though the day before had never happened. It seemed that Lilith and Celeste had arrived back after she had fallen asleep as they were both there when Lyndsey made her way down for breakfast. No mention was made of what had happened as the four of them ate. In fact, there was little talking at all until the very end and the plates had been cleared away.

"Now Lyndsey I believe it has been sufficiently long since your emergence and you should be ready to start training." Lilith said as she dabbed at her mouth with a napkin. Lyndsey's eyes lit up.

"Will Uncle Oswald be teaching me?" She asked excitedly, glancing over at her uncle with a broad grin on her face. Oswald gave a small shake of his head there was a slight sadness in her eyes.

"No I will be teaching you." Lilith said, her lips a little tighter than usual. Lyndsey tried to stop her face from falling. The idea of being taught by her aunt was not something she relished, especially when the other option was her Uncle. She had learned a lot from him already and she was still a little wary of her aunt after what had happened the evening after her emergence. The hard tone had gone from her voice but Lyndsey was worried what might happen if she wasn't able to do something that her aunt asked of her.

"I'll try my very hardest Aunt Lilith." Lyndsey said after a few moments of silence, "I want to learn all I can."

"And learn you shall." Lilith nodded, pushing out her chair and getting up from the table. "Come along." She said with a slight gesture of her hand which Lyndsey knew meant she was to follow her. Oswald's eyes followed the two of them as they left the room. Celeste was watching too.

"It is about time she started to learn something." Celeste smirked as she sipped the last of her tea. Oswald did not respond, instead bringing his paper up higher in front of his face. Celeste shook her head and left the table herself.

Lilith lead Lyndsey into one of the large rooms around the back of the house. It was empty aside from a few chairs set in the centre of the room. Lilith sat in one and Lyndsey sat in the other just across from her.

"We are going to start small. Today we shall look at the two most fundamental skills of the Esa." Lilith pushed her hair back as she spoke, tying it back with a ribbon. "It takes time to learn these things. It may take a few days, it may take a few weeks but it will come in time." Lyndsey nodded seriously as she listened. She was determined to master everything she could and as fast as she could. "Now we are going to start with the most essential skill of the Esa." Lilith looked Lyndsey directly in the eye and Lyndsey all but jumped when her aunt's voice spoke inside her head, "This is how we communicate."

"Am I doing it right?" Lyndsey thought back, remembering how she had tried to communicate with the voice many weeks earlier. Lilith kept her face neutral but she was certainly surprised. The child was already able to do more than she expected.

"Let's try a little further away shall we." Lilith said, keeping her voice calm though her heart was already racing. She moved their seats much further apart and continued to do so over the next hour and Lyndsey continued over and over to be able to communicate.

After a while Lilith knew there was something she had to check, especially as she remembered the events of a few nights before. "I am now going to go just outside this door and I would like you to try and talk to me once more." She strode quickly out of the door, her hands clenched into fists. The child was far more advanced than she was pleased with. She was starting to understand just how powerful the girl might be and it only increased her dislike of the girl. She was starting to remind Lilith all too much of her parents. Talented and powerful but far too trusting and sweet for their own good.