Chapter Five: No, They Don't Matter

Start from the beginning

"Naomi," Bennett called out to me. "I want to ask you."

"Uh, yeah?"

"Do you know why Lynn acted like that to us?"

He knows all, sees all.

"No. I didn't really understand it myself."

Bennett came up to me. "You were talking to her when we weren't there. What about?"

I looked away, feeling hot. "You know, girl stuff."

"Wouldn't love be considered girl stuff?" He questioned.

"Then what are you trying to imply?"

"That she really was trying to play Cupid," he said. "I mean, that was quite obvious. What I'm wondering is why you're trying to cover for her. It doesn't seem she was covering it, so why are you?"

I was backing up now. "I don't know. It was embarrassing."

But I backed up and bumped into Jordan. He put his arm around me, having it hang off my shoulders.

"What is to be embarrassed about?" He mused, a smile clearly heard in his voice.

I pushed his arm off of me. "You guys are just teasing me. Leave me alone."

Declan stood in front of me. "We need to stop ignoring this. You need to stop ignoring it."

"I'm not ignoring-" They need to stop it.

"Do you hate us?" Declan said softly, but it was as if he was asking about him personally.

"Of course not."

"Then have you never thought of us in a different way?" Declan asked, hesitating before adding, "in a romantic way."

"H-Have you?" I shot back.

Their silence answered it.

"Don't lie to me..."

"Can you stop selling yourself short for once," Jordan snapped before going quiet.

Bennett stared at me then looked away. "Guys, let's just back away from her a second. I don't want her to feel like we're ganging up on her. Especially when we're talking about this."

Embarrassed as they were now conscious of this, they did so.

"Do you think guys can be friends with girls?" Declan asked me.

"I mean, if you look at us..."

"You can see that there isn't just mere friendship anymore," Jordan muttered.

I'm in a middle of an otome game. Where's the restart button? Where's the end play? No wait, the end play is when I actually choose someone.

"You can't make me choose between you three," I whispered. "You guys mean everything to me. I'm not going to make some hormones ruin that."

"So you're okay if we start dating other girls?" Jordan questioned, his voice raising. "You won't feel as jealous as you were in the festival?"

Declan put his arm in front of Jordan. "Please don't."

"I know it isn't right to discuss something like this so bluntly," Bennett said quietly. "None of us wants this to change. But we shouldn't ignore this either."

Declan said, "As much as we want to believe that there isn't anything between us besides friendship. Neither of us can't help it."

"Did you become friends with me knowing it might come to this?" I asked softly.