Chapter One

-Haley-

I studied the pale white walls in front of me, ones that held memories, good and bad. I ran my fingers across the walls as I walked around the medium sized room taking it all in. Memories of my childhood flashed into my mind with each step. I couldn't believe that I was leaving the home that I grew up in, the home that was comforting and a safe haven away from the disaster of a world.

"Haley, are you ready?" I heard my mother called out from the entry way of my door. I turned around to see that she had one of the last boxes of my room in her hands. Her dark brown locks were pulled back into a messy ponytail and her blue eyes were bright with excitement. Her features were completely different from my own, my medium brown hair fell down my back and my greenish colored eyes weren't filled with excitement, they were dull with sadness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my mother got the promotion she wanted for so long. She deserved it, she did work hard towards it, but that meant moving to a new town with new people and going to a new school. I would rather stay here in the same town with the same people in the same home and stick to the same school, even though this place and the people suck it's the only place I know. My mother said that moving to a new place would give me a chance to 're-invent' myself as she put it. But honestly, I don't want to 'reinvent' myself, I actually like who I am and rather keep it that way, being a loner is what I'm comfortable with.

Now I have to 'try' and reinvent myself for my mother. New town, new people, new me? Yeah, that's gonna be a fail.

"I guess so." I answered grabbing the last box from my room.

My mom gave me a small comforting smile. "Things will be different, a better different." She said before walking out of my now empty room.

I hoisted the box higher into my arms and headed to the doorway. I took one last glance around empty room when one last memory flashed into my mind.

"Haley! Haley, sweetie where are you?" I heard a deep voice filled with warmth called out.

"In my room, daddy!" I yelled back in my small five year old voice.

A tall, broad frame entered the doorway of my room. My father leaned against the archway and folded his arms across his strong chest and let out a sigh of relief. "Honey-bun, do you want to give your dear old dad a heart attack?"

I shook my head vigorously. "Of course not!" I cried out.

My dad chuckled lightly and walked over and ruffled my dark brunette hair. "Then why weren't you downstairs in the playroom, the place I told you to stay till I got back from the yard?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

I looked up to my dad with innocent eyes. "I'm sowwie, daddy. I just wanted to get my coloring book." I said holding up the multi-page coloring book.

My father's eyes softened completely and his strong arms picked me up and held me tightly. "You're too adorable! I can already tell when you get older it would be hard for me to say no to you."

I giggled as he swung me in his arms side to side. "How about we go to the kitchen and make ice cream sundaes?"

"Yes pwease!" I exclaimed in happiness.

"Alright. Let's go makes some sundaes!" My dad said placing me onto his shoulders and jogging down the hall and staircase to the kitchen which caused my small body to bop up and down with each step. "Okay, what flavor would you like?" He asked as he set me down on the counter and grabbed some bowls from the cabinet near the sink.

"Chocolate!" I cried out swinging my small legs back and forth. Chocolate ice cream was my ultimate favorite and my father knew that also. He walked over the freezer side of the fridge and opened it.