sprinkles

"Hello mystery girl."

"How'd you know it was me?"

"You're the only one who ever calls in instead of actually going outside."

"Oh."

"Can I call you something other than 'mystery girl,' please? It's really bugging me."

"Yeah."

"And your name is...?"

"You can, but may you."

"I should hang up right now."

"But I'm a talking piggy bank."

"Exactly."

"So how does the whole sprinkle lemonade thing work?"

"Well first we chop up a unicorn-"

"And the FDA approved?"

"Yes, now listen."

"Wait someone's at the door."

The phone clicks, and Christoph waits for a half-hour before growing bored. It's the time of the day when no one comes into the store, which he had grown used to filling with the mystery girl's banter. Checking the clock one last time, Christoph makes two sprinkle lemonades before he starts the walk to her house. When he gets there, clothes are strewn across the yard, but the house's quiet. Slightly worried, he knocks on the door, and a puffy-eyed mystery girl opens it.

"Hey, uh, now isn't a good time-"

"I have lemonade."

"Oh uh, thanks."

"It's fine, I hope you, uh, sort out your issues soon."

"Oh it's sorted out alright, if you wanna come over tonight I'm lighting a bonfire."

"I don't think that's very safe."

"Well, my ex's a cheater and if he thought he'd get off easy he thought wrong. Safe's the last thing on my mind."

"Okay, well I'll come to make sure you don't burn down your house or something."

"Thanks, I'll probably need it."

Christoph walks back to Jackie's Lemonade Stand, wondering if he's accidentally befriended an arsonist.

(It only takes a moment before deciding: he probably has)