Chapter Eight

Asibiaashi wasn't a cruel woman. Not typically, anyway. Only Ozar seemed to be able to get under her skin. She stared into the pool of water that glowed in a marble fountain in front of her. Hanging from the ceiling were dream catchers in varying colors and designs.

She didn't turn when the heavy double doors slid across the gravel, alerting her of a visitor.

"You're late," she said, her eyes still watching the images the glowing fountain displayed. "I almost thought you wanted a reprieve from this evening's ritual."

Ozar padded across the gravel, his form growing and changing into that of a young boy with dark hair and gray eyes.

Asibiaashi's lips curled upward, "Do you think your new form will make me lessen the pain?"

Ozar pouted, "Is that possible?"

"I pity humans, not spirits."

"Decades have passed," Ozar muttered. "If only you'd let me--"

"Silence. You know the punishment for touching a human."

"I can stop the anomaly if you let me."

"I refuse to allow you to touch those humans," Asibiaashi grinned. "This one will soon be with child. You know what that means."

"Another generation of nightly torture," Ozar hissed.

Asibiaashi turned her eyes away from the young woman with her husband and glanced at Ozar, "All nightmares belong to me. Because of you, I'm losing my power. Every bit counts, Ozar."

"Every reason to eliminate--"

"The blame lies on you, not them."

Before Ozar could say another word, his body twisted in pain. The sound of bones popping filled the air as his skin stretched. His screams echoed around them as the dream catchers shook.

"Another generation of pain because of your mistake. I hope you look forward to it."