Chapter One

If he was careful, only the glimmering stars above would witness the sin he was about to commit. He stood on the tips of his toes, his hand outstretched towards the spirit web that hung above his sleeping sister. His fingers grazed against the white feathers that were part of the spirit web before wrapping around the red string. He yanked until the spirit web dangled in his hands. He licked his lips and froze as his younger sister quickly turned in her sleep. He could hear himself breathing.

After several moments passed, he slowly backed up, his moccasins sliding against the dirt floor. This act of disobedience was risky. All of the younger children had a spirit web to protect them in their sleep. At twelve months, his sister had become more important to his parents. His lips snarled as he thought of how much they doted on her. She had taken his parents from him and he would take everything from her...even her spirit web.

A wolf's howl in the distance startled him and he looked around, making sure no one was awake. To be caught stealing a spirit web would be an act of shame. If he hid the sacred object, perhaps everyone would assume it was done by the great Asibikaashi. She was the Spider Woman responsible for capturing and destroying the evil dreams of children.

A low growl behind him sent a shiver of dread through him. He licked his lips before slowly turning his head to see two glowing eyes staring back at him. One of his hands released the spirit web and began reaching for the small knife he always carried. The wolf's hackles rose and it flashed a set of sharp fangs.

He wasn't sure if he could protect himself. He was fast. Perhaps he could outrun the silvery threat. He tossed the spirit web at the wolf before sprinting into the woods that surrounded the tribe's home. Protruding branches slapped him against his face and torso as he blindly ran towards the Knowledge Tree. If he climbed its branches, he could sleep there and wait for the wolf to become tired and leave. He could hear the wolf growling behind him as his feet pushed him forward. He felt the wolf's paws against his back before the animal's weight shoved him to the ground. A shriek of fear escaped him and he felt the wolf bite into the nape of his neck.

"Enough!" a woman's shrill voice bounced against the surrounding trees.

The wolf gave a final growl before jumping back, his silver fur covered in blood.

"You have done something wrong," the woman said.

He cracked open an eye and groaned at the pain near his neck. What was going on? An unsteady hand reached for the open wound. Then he saw her. A blonde goddess shrouded in a white gown. Pink and turquoise beads lined the dress and an image of a wolf was embroidered on her chest.

"Asibikaashi?" the bleeding young man gasped.

She looked down at the wolf beside her, "You have gone too far, Ozar."

Despite his blood, the young man flipped himself on his stomach and crouched in a low bow.

"Stand, my child. Your sin was to steal from me when you took that spirit web. I was about to punish you but it seems Ozar did it for me."

"A-Asibiaashi, f-forgive me."

"You're going to let him go?" a deep voice murmured as Ozar's body slowly glowed before transforming from a wolf to a muscled warrior. "He deserves death."

"You have already punished him enough," Asibikaashi answered. "You must replace the spirit web unless you wish for the child to have a restless night."

"But he-"

"You know we are not to touch humans," her voice sounded as though she were scolding him. "You must be responsible for your actions."

She turned back to the bloodied boy and frowned, "You will regret this night...as shall I."