Can't Trust Everyone

I open my eyes to see Aurei finishing her leftover beef jerky.

"Morning." Aurei chirps without looking from her bag. The sun shone through the window so I could only see half of her face.

I nod, sitting up.

"Do you need to use the bathroom?" I ask, turning to face her.

"No, we can go now." Aurei suggests, taking a sip of her water.

"We'll leave after I eat something." I said as I start eating my beef jerky.

The saltiness of the meat made me wake up all the way. I glance over at Aurei, expecting a usual expressionless face.

"You look like you just injected meth." Aurei jokes, smirking.

"Funny." I growled, taking a sip of my water. She had jokes here and there.

I put everything in my bag, reloading my chambers since I've blown them all away yesterday.

"Stay close, when we get to the gas station, we'll grab some extra things, take what we need." I order.

Aurei nods, stepping out of the truck.

I spin the cylinder then stuffed it in my bra, grabbed my bag, then hopped out of the truck. The tall grass cushioning my feet.

We walk through the forest until we saw the dusty road, walking on the edge just in case someone does drive by. There were almost no houses, only old signs and railways.

"Hey," Aurei chirps, pointing at a stop sign. I brush it off as something irrelevant and kept walking.

"And?" I retort, raising my eyebrow and gripping the strap of my bag to keep it from falling off.

"Nothing." Aurei mutters, looking away.

Guilt began to bite me in the ass when Aurei's face fell. That little girl just lost her mother a day ago, Aurei had to be there when mom got shot. She never got a chance to say her goodbyes but I did.

It's not fair.

"Sorry Aurei, I'm just not in a good mood." I groan, facepalming.

"Who is? I understand Avery, we just lost mom, people are eating one another and we have no where to stay so save your apologies for someone who needs them." Aurei shrugs, staring ahead.

---------------------

Once we reached the gas station, the sign said:

Take what you can and God bless.

"Remember what I said Aurei." I warn, before stepping inside. She nods to let me known that she gotten my warning. The gas station is rather small, It had several old signs that were almost faded out.

Inside, there were only three aisles, they all were wiped out with only several pills and shattered bottles of wine, there was nothing but newspapers spread all over the floor. The calendar next to me shown today's date: July 6th, 2010.

I walk behind the busted counter, grabbing a couple of cigarettes and stuffing them in my bag.

"Avery!" Aurei hisses at me from behind, she runs inside and moves away from the door, crouching down.

"What?" I whispered, crouching down.

"Cars!" She whispers.

I turn to see a rusty red van pull up in the parking lot, along with a small faded blue car. I motion for Aurei to hide, she does as she's told and she disappears behind one aisle.