Secrets Revealed

We didn't say anything, as Dakota drives I laid against the window. I have no sympathy for any of those people except for Natilie....Dakota remains silent and emotionless. I graze my fingers over my cut.

"Why?" I ask quietly.

"What?" Dakota asks coldly.

"Why come back? You had the keys....you could've left me to die." I said quietly.

"Don't think you're special. Just be grateful." He said.

"Asswhole." I mutter.

"Dipshit." Dakota shot back.

I put my hand over my stomach, it growls. I have to ignore it and stay strong.

Sometimes I wish the radio would work to break the ice, but I could wish all I want....we don't get to be happy all the time. I can't mope around....

"What do you want me to do? Prance around with a smile on my face being willy nilly and shit?" Dakota snaps. I massage my forehead with my fingers.

"No. We need to find a spot to stop at....I'm pretty sure you're starving-" Once again Dakota cuts me off.

"I'm not hungry." Dakota said quickly.

"Even if you're not you'll need your sleep." I said, cursing myself for sounding like a mother, it was easy for me to do that with Aurei...because sometimes I had to help be the parent to....although Mom did help a lot.

I look to see a old house ahead.

"Let's stop here." I suggest. Dakota shrugs then drives towards the house.

I grab my bag, and my revolver. Then I step out of the car to walk towards the house, Dakota goes behind the small house, I slowly open the door to see old furniture. I slowly step inside....then started walking past the living room, I slam my fist against the wall to see a roamer groan from the floor.

I grab my dagger, stabbing it through the head as it snaps its teeth at me, I drag the body out of the house. Then I walk towards the hallway, I step inside the dark bedroom, it's painted blue and the bed had a huge faded quilt over it, on the floor is another man who must've shot himself.

"Avery?" I could hear Dakota call me.

"I'm in the bedroom, help me with this body." I call out, I grab the corpse by the legs then begun dragging it down the hall, the stench of rotting flesh invading my nose. I resist the urge to puke as I struggle to get it past the couch.

Dakota grabs ahold of the body then finishes my job.

"You didn't have to do it on your own." I said as he drags the body outside. Dakota turns to face me.

"Could you stop with the bitching?" Dakota snaps.

"Could you stop being a concieted prick who hardly knows how to show emotions?!" I shot back. Dakota glares at me.

"You make me laugh." Dakota grunts.

"You don't know shit, you expect me to be a happy and prance around throwing candy and shit. Well I didn't ask to be this way." Dakota said, I look him in the eye.

"I'm not afraid of you." I said boldly, Dakota walks closer to me.

"You will be." Dakota threatens.

"Why are you such an asswhole?!" I ask, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Avery you're so fucking hard to deal with. You think you are capable of anything....guess what, reality dipshit!" Dakota said before walking away.

"Don't you think I know that?! Unlike you I know when I'm wrong." I said, Dakota stays silent, walking down the hall, I follow him.

"Look....I'm sorry-" I said as he stepped into the bedroom. Dakota just turns around, balling up his fists.

"What made you so fucked up?" I ask, knitting my eyebrows at him.

"Me and my sister.....if I wasn't crying like a fucking wounded dog I would've saved her...." Dakota said, facepalming.

"Shit. I said that out loud." Dakota mutters, I saunter closer towards him.

"Your sister?" I ask quietly.

"They beaten her, raped her, and I was starved, but they were beating me too....until one day they killed her....she died slowly and I couldn't fucking save her. I wasn't gonna let them skip around and sing like a fucking lunatic, so in the middle of the night, I burned them all alive." Dakota said quietly as his back was turned away from me. I walk up to hug him.

"Stop. I hate being looked at like a wounded little animal." Dakota barks.

"I spent days alone." Dakota adds.

"I didn't know." I said quietly, looking at the bed.

"No shit sherlock." Dakota snaps. That explains everything.....I turn Dakota around to face me.

For the first time, I could tell that Dakota is damaged....broken. He can be cruel but thanks to everything that's happened to him....I'm not complaining anymore.

"Hey, I'm sorry for making it about me...." I said, my stomach growls again, I run my hand over my stomach.

"Stop with your apologies." Dakota snaps at me.

"Listen, whatever you have to say....I'll listen, but I'm trying." I said.

"You sound like a sensitive dog." Dakota said, he sits down on the bed.

"Why did you become this way?" I ask quietly.

Dakota looks up at me, I could tell how damaged he was by the emptiness in his eyes. I sit beside him on the bed, ignoring the fact that he's balling up his face.

"My mother said I was born broken.....and I am....." Dakota said, I look at him with wide eyes. Dad always said people aren't born in the most perfect homes....so they don't know any better....they can't help it....

"One day I had enough, tried to jump off a balcony, but my best friend caught me and he struggled to pull me off. But I still didn't give up....I had the gun against my fucking temple.....but my sister caught me in the act....she stopped me....for a while." Dakota admits, I lightly punch his arm.

"Hey....maybe I can't save you from this....but after we find my sister, we'll leave altogether." I said with a small grin.

"Enough with the sappy shit." Dakota said, standing up.

"You're hungry." Dakota said, I shake my head.

"Bullshit Avery, you've been walking around with a hand on your stomach....find some food." Dakota said, I get up off the bed.

I could hear the groans of the undead outside, I shake my head. I understand how he's the way he is.....but back to thinking of the reason why I'm still walking.....Aurei.