They're Not People

Start from the beginning

It has to be the same with those people outside, they're already dead...but something is causing them to move...it's like the resurrection in the Bible.

For now...I'll look at them as the undead until I find more information....

What am I even saying?

My thoughts get interrupted as these people start banging their fists against our windows. I dart out of mom's room and into the living room to see our door moving, they were trying to get in.

I try to move the sofa on my right, pushing it with every ounce of strength I had in my body to move it in front of the door. My muscles clenched as I use my feet for ground support while pushing the sofa in front of the door.

The budging stops.

Then I grab my bag off the couch with everything in it then darted upstairs, my stamina causing me to run much slower.

I run into our room and slam the door, locking it in the process, I back away slowly, my chest rising up and down as sweat begun to bleed through my shirt.

I turn around to see Aurei laying on the bottom bunk of our bed, her face buried in a pillow to quiet her sobs.

I rub Aurei's back. She goes stiff and she sits up, hugging her knees and staring ahead.

"What I did was stupid, don't lecture me." Aurei says without facing me. Her eyes still were wide, which meant that she's no permanently traumatized....and sadly...I can't help her with that.

"I didn't want to do it." I admit, looking ahead.

She looks up at me from her pillow, then she rests her head on my shoulder. I snake my arm around her back and pull her closer.

Eventually, I begun to ignore the people outside and aimed my focus on my little sister.

"But we'd both regret it if I hadn't done something..." I continue, squeezing her shoulder, I never really cried, except the day Dad died...I can't lose Aurei. I just can't.

"I fucking hate this world." Aurei growls.

"Aurei, you're thirteen. But you can't run your mouth all the time, especially if I'm telling you to do something important." I lecture. Aurei sighs.

"I'm sorry, that was my anger talking." Aurei says, correcting herself.

"Where will we go?" Aurei asks, her sniffles growing fainter.

"Away from the city, maybe down the highway where Dad taught us to hunt." I said, my voice still wavering. Mom's corpse kept haunting me, every time I go silent...the images just kept appearing.

"The fields." I clarify, distracting myself from those images.

"Can I go to sleep?" Aurei asks quietly.

"I'm not stopping you." I shrugged.

Aurei rests her head on the pillow beside the wall, rolling on her side so that I could see nothing but her backside.

"You better be there when I wake up." Aurei warns before drifting off to sleep.

I roll my eyes at her sly comment. "You better not change even the slightest lil' sis." I smirk, ruffling her hair. I love annoying her.