Chapter 9

Imagine

Chapter 9

In which Evangeline Leaves at Midnight

The words seemed to engrave themselves onto Evangeline's eyelids, the scarlet red paint prominent against the cloak of darkness of her lids, forcing her to look at the message at all times. She could feel the panic attack creeping up on her: Increase of heart beat, shallow breaths and the warm sensation behind her ear; an anxiety attack. The world seemed to slowly crumble around her, however, in reality, it was Evangeline's knees bucking and falling backwards.

In one swift movement, Caspar wrapped her in his arms, taking the impact of her body as she fell, landing on his coccis bone. There was a moment were neither of them spoke, instead he listened to her rapid breathing pattern. He could feel her body shaking against his.

He couldn't help but fix his eyes on the writing on the wall. The colour resembled the colour of blood whilst the handwriting looked like it belonged in a nineteenth century Gothic horror novel. The writing was fixating and was having the effect that Eclipse had desired. A girl close to breaking, a boy lost and a grinning man in the moonlight.

He knew he had to calm her down, before she passed out. Wrapping his arms around her, pulling her close to his chest, leaned in close, levelling his lips with her ear. “Shh, Evie,” He said awkwardly. It was several moments later that Caspar broke the silence again.

“Come, don't let him win,” Caspar's voice was hushed, his hot breath tickling the her ear as lose strands brushed against it. “I promise not to let him hurt you.” Forcing herself to focus on the words leaving his lips, she found herself believing them. Her breathing pattern returned to normal. The more her breaths stabilised, the more Caspar's grip loosened and the more Evangeline relaxed into him.

Although her hands were still shaking she lifted it up, leaving it slightly in front of her. Her hand curled into a loose fist whilst her pinky finger was extended. “Promise?” Her voice resembled a small child's who had just been to the dentist or the doctor and received a vaccine, truly terrified.

A small smile found its way onto Caspar's lips when he saw her make a gesture to 'pinky-promise'. Made the same gesture and rose his hand to meet hers. They locked and interlaced fingers, holding it their. Evangeline turned her head so that she could see his face, and more importantly his eyes. 'Promise.” And she knew he was telling the truth.

Silence consumed them. The majority silences between a teenage boy and a teenage girl are ever so awkward, however, this wasn't. It was comfortable for them. Evangeline relaxed, fitting her boy to his, which seemed to fit perfectly, connecting jigsaw pieces.

Evangeline was resting her back against Caspar's chest, her head on his shoulder, his head on the crown of her head. His legs next to hers. Caspar leant against the door, preventing anybody entering the room and ruining the moment of piece and comfort. His arms were around her waist, holding hr in place. Evangeline moved her head slightly, adjusting it so it was directly over his heart, wondering if his heart was doing the same thing hers was; beating erratically. Racing and missing beats. However, she heard nothing, nor did she feel his chest moving. It was as if he was hollow. Free from organs and unburdened with breathing.