Chapter 20

"What's going on?" Arthur said, walking into the room. Percival, Elyan, Gwen, and Lancelot were all sitting down round a large round table , all looking varying degrees of confused. Arthur had been told by a passing servant boy that his presence was required immediately.

"Excellent, we're all here," Gwaine said then, striding confidently in, Leon following him. They all looked up at the two knights.

"What's this all about?" Elyan said.

"It's about what everything's always about now," said Gwaine, sitting down backwards on a chair, arms crossed idly over the back. "Merlin."

"What about him?"

"Well, it's more about all you lot and Merlin. Stop treating him like he's made of glass, he won't break you know" said Gwaine, giving pointed looks at all of them, one at a time, "He's caught on, and it's really stressing him out. And stop pestering him about not remembering. I think he feels like he's letting you all down."

"Where would he be getting that idea from?" Arthur said.

Gwaine jabbed a finger at the prince, and said, "You don't get to talk here, you're the worst of the whole lot. I said I wasn't angry with you over what you've done, and I stand by that. However, you're somewhat pressing me with what you're doing. Tell me, Arthur, since you've been let out of the dungeon, how many times have you gone to see him?"

Arthur's mouth shut with an audible click, and he looked down at his boots.

"Now," said Gwaine, "I've already spoken to Gaius over this, and he agrees with me. We've come to an impasse. We either need to tell Merlin all that we know about his lost time, or we need to not tell him anything. None of this little filtered bits that we have going on at the moment. It's only making things worse. We have these two choices, and that's it. We tell Merlin everything and hope it doesn't hurt him too much, or we tell him nothing, and let him remember on his own time."

"How do we decide?"

"A vote," said Gwaine, "I've already decided what I think, and Gaius has opted out of this. He thinks both ways have just as many advantages and disadvantages. I've brought Leon as he's fairly impartial, in case of a tie. So, show of hands. Who wants to just tell him what we know?"

Lancelot and Elyan raised their hands quickly. Gwen, looking like she wanted to burst out crying , and just stared down at her clasped hands in her lap. Arthur looked off to the side, and wouldn't really meet anyone's eyes. Gwaine also raised his hand. As it stood, it was three-to-three.

"Percival," Lancelot said, "Come on."

Percival shook his head, and said, "No. We don't know what he went through, but we've seen the results. Some things are better left forgotten."

"Looks like a tie, then," said Gwaine, lowering his hand. Lancelot and Elyan did the same. They all looked to Leon. "Well?" asked Gwaine.

"I'm not saying he should never be told," said the knight, "But for now...let Merlin get his strength back, first."

"Which side is that voting for?" said Elyan.

"Don't tell him," said Leon. "I think it will do more harm than good."

"This isn't right," said Lancelot, standing abruptly, "Haven't we messed up Merlin's life enough as it is? He deserves to know. Gwen, surely you will see reason."

"Lancelot, you didn't see him when I told him about the ransom," whispered Gwen, not looking up from her hands, "If he has to go through that every time that we tell him something about what's happened – I won't be part of it."