35. Protect him

Zacznij od początku

"What happened?" Zayn demands, his brows pulling low in a scanty frown.

"Edgar's soldiers," Silas breathes out, gasping for air as he places his hand on his chest. "They're coming."

My entire body freezes as the colour drains from my face, the gravity of the situation slowly sinking in. A line of red uniforms appears in the distance as they begin advancing towards us - towards Solis. As swift as I came here, I commence going back, pushing Midnight to run as fast as he can, jumping over every obstacle on our way. All I know is that I need to get to Harry as quick as possible, I need to make sure he is safe.

"Amelia!" I hear the shouts of my name, ignoring them as my mind can only process on getting back to the palace. My jaw falls open in surprise at the horrific sight unfolding in front of me as I reach the hill I've been standing on minutes ago. Darkland soldiers are swarming through the palace doors from all sides, the realisation they have attacked from the sea as well settling in. I slowly dismount Midnight, kissing his muzzle and slapping his back, making him run away. My heart hammers in my chest as I inhale a few deep breaths before breaking into a sprint, drawing out my dagger and clutching it in my hand, ready to fight.

Shouts of soldiers surround me as I dodge people running in the opposite directions, fleeing from the danger I'm currently running into. Screams of fear ripping from people who are not armed nor involved in the fight can be heard all around me, most of them being guests from the ceremony. White uniforms clash with red ones as Solis soldiers fight back, spurts of blood flying in the air and staining the ground from blades slashing through human flesh.

Before passing through the gates to search for my prince, I halt in place, taking in the sight. This is it, it has truly begun. The war has begun.

👑👑👑

I grit my teeth as I jolt my hand forward, the blade of my dagger piercing the stomach of one of the Darkland soldiers, his eyes bulging out and mouth falling open from the shock. I rip it back and let him slump to the ground, quickly moving forward through the familiar hallways of the palace. I know where the royal family should be considering most of the enemies are trying to reach them, making my task of locating them easier. I am almost certain they are trapped in the ballroom or somewhere nearby, there is no way they would manage to slip out unnoticed.

I can only hope they have strong protection and none of them is hurt, the mere thought only increasing the rising panic inside of me. The weight of a sword I have obtained from one of the enemy soldiers is reassuring as it hangs strapped to my side, my hand gripping the hilt in case it shall be needed. The sight of King Henry fiercely battling with soldiers surrounding him greets me as I manage to fight my way towards the ballroom, determination settling on my expression as I begin running towards him.

I raise my dagger, plunging it into the back of a soldier who was about to attack him from behind, stepping back to let him fall to the ground. The King's blue eyes meet mine once he turns around, widening in surprise upon seeing me here, drops of blood I assume is not his own smeared over his pale face.

"Where is Harry?" I demand.

"I've ordered him and Annemarie to run towards the main servant's corridor, it's the only way to exit the castle," he informs me before raising his sword, clashing it with someone behind me as I duck down, jumping out of the way. "Find them!" He pleas, looking at me with a mixture of sorrow and vulnerability.

I jerk my head in a nod before turning around, pushing my muscles to their limits as I sprint as fast as I can, wanting to find Harry and his mother. I jump over the dead bodies randomly scattered over the floor, a sheen of sweat coating my skin and trickling down the back of my neck as quick, heavy pants leave my mouth. My throat is burning from the lack of water and excessive breathing, but the rush I feel is preventing me from giving in to the exhaustion I'd surely feel in any other situation.