"I don't know." I whispered. "I had it all laid out in my head, kind of like a playbook. I knew what moves I was going to make, I prepared what I was going to say when I saw her. But now. . . now that it's happening, I feel like all of my game plan is crap."

He frowned, lines of concern forming on his forehead, "You can't always follow a playbook, Alex. Sometimes you've got to go against the game plan and do things your own way."

*

We somehow found a way to get me in the car and on the way to visit Evan in a painless fashion. Toby had been calling and texting all morning, but my head had been too much of a jumbled mess to try and talk things through with him. It was honestly a genuine surprise that I was able to talk myself into visiting Evan when I could barely stand, let alone keep my eyes open.

But it was his birthday too and the first year we had each other to celebrate with. No matter the pain I had to endure, mentally and physically, his happiness was my first priority. He was going to have the best birthday of his life; I was going to make sure of it.

"Do you want me to carry you?" Griffin teased from the driver's seat as he put the car in park.

I smiled, "Bridal style?"

"'Course." he smirked.

When he walked around the car to help me out, I outstretched my arms so I could drape them around his neck. He coughed to cover up his laugh as he picked me up and hugged me to his chest, "I have a feeling you get some sick enjoyment out of this."

"You know me so well." I feigned a yawn and looked up at the brightly lit blue sky, finding forms of animals and inanimate objects in the clouds as Griffin carried me into the hospital.

"Am I going to have to carry you everywhere for the next two weeks?" He questioned.

"Yes," I laid my head against his chest, "because you love me."

He scoffed but didn't say anything as we boarded the elevator, his hand finding the right button before he leaned a little, tipping me sideways with him.

Evan was sitting up in bed when Griffin stopped in the doorway, his eyes on a half eaten cupcake on his lap. His face lit up when he saw us, but the look slowly faded when his eyes fell on my foot.

"What happened?"

"I stepped on a broken beer bottle at the beach and had to get stitches." I said it quickly and quietly, hoping he wouldn't ask more questions. The last thing he needed to worry about was an accident I had gotten myself into.

He held out the other half of his cupcake with a crooked smile, "You want it?"

Griffin set me down on the end of the bed and laughed, "You don't ask Alex if she wants something sweet. You just give it to her."

I stuck my tongue out before picking a piece off the cupcake and tossing it in my mouth.

"I've got to go help your brothers with the cake and presents. You stay here, understood?" there was a joking tone in his voice as he backed out the door.

My head whipped toward Evan once Griffin was out the door, a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth.

"He likes you." Evan stated in a sign-song voice.

"What?" I gasped dramatically, "No way!"

"So you know of his feelings for you? Have you guys talked them out? Do you like him?" his words flooded out all at once.

"Yes, somewhat, and I don't really know." I responded. I leaned forward and touched his leg with a grin, "Enough about me, though. Tell me how your day has been so far."

*

I came close to telling Evan the news about our mother multiple times. The words just never seemed to want to leave my mouth. By the time I was ready to talk about it, my brothers filed into the room with a cake, Rowan and Aliyah in tow.

I had never seen such a look of awe as I had in the second Evan's eyes fell on my next door neighbor. She must have felt the look too, because she tucked a lock of her dark hair behind her ear and flashed my twin brother a nervous smile.

"What's this I see?" Jace grinned, "Does this little badass see something he likes?"

My eyes fell on the chocolate cake in Griffin's hands as my brother's exchanged teasing and taunting looks. "I do."

My brothers all erupted in laughter, Griffin only shook his head disapprovingly at the thought of me stuffing my face with a piece of the cake in his hands.

"I present you my most prized possession." Griffin shrugged off his Letterman and bowed as he held it out in front of me. I took it hesitantly, keeping a skeptical eye on him.

Jace was eying his best friend with a strange expression, "You feeling alright, bro?"

Griffin flipped his friendly finger at his best friend before setting the cake on a tray and lighting the candles. Seconds before Evan and I blew them out, Toby stepped into the doorway, gasping for breath.

"Alex." He ignored every other pair of eyes in the room on him and held my gaze, "We need to talk. Right now."

***AN***

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought! Do you think she'll tell Evan about their mom before or after she meets her? 

~ChasingMadness24