The young girl (Mezoti) spoke.

"She's like us."

The other teen boy (Icheb) stepped forward.

"Not like us. She's damaged. Her infrastructure has been removed."

"We could fix her." (Mezoti)

"You will add to our perfection." (Icheb)

"You are neonatal drones. You should still be in maturation chambers", Seven said while standing half in front of me.

"We've matured long enough." (Leader)

"Doubtful. Your thoracic nodes haven't formed yet." (Seven)

The second teen boy touched his chest lightly, confused.

"You're incomplete. You'll continue to malfunction. You must return to your maturation chambers. Comply." (Seven)

"Don't listen to her." (Leader)

"We tried to go back in. The chambers were offline." (Icheb)

"What happened to the adult drones?" (Seven)

"We don't know", one of the two pre-teen boys, one of the pair of twins (Azan) said.

"Irrelevant. Don't tell her anything." (Leader)

"This vessel has been severely damaged. You won't be able to repair it alone. I can help you, but first you must release the hostages." (Seven)

"That wasn't the agreement." (Leader)

"I've modified the agreement. I didn't realize I'd be dealing with children. Your behavior is erratic. I can't be certain that you." (Seven)

"No modifications. You also brought one person more, even if we told you just one!" (Leader)

"She didn't come here with me. I found her on one of the corridors, unconscious. She came with the others you took as hostages."

"We show you the hostages, you give us the deflector. Comply. Comply!" (Leader)

"Take us to them." (Seven)

Seven grabbed my hand, which I squeezed as a wordless 'thank you'. The little girl lead the way, and the second teen boy followed.

"If they try to resist, ... assimilate them." (Leader)

I jumped a little and ripped open my eyes. Seven squeezed my hand encouragingly.

We were now walking through another corridor of the cube.

"Do you have a designation?" Seven asked the boy.

"Second", he answered.

His voice was strange, like it was a defect.

"You were the second to emerge from the chambers." (Seven)

"No, the first. I could not establish order. I became Second and he became First." (Icheb)

"So you've established a chain of command, a hierarchy", I said.

"We're a Collective." (Mezoti)

"A collective of five on a vessel normally run by five thousand. What makes you think you'll survive?" (Seven)

"When we re-establish our link with the Borg, they will come for us." (Icheb)

We arrived at another chamber.