two

AUTHOR

FLASHBACK - 4 YEARS AGO

eunhee was sitting at the dinner table, awaiting for the turkey her mother had spent hours cooking on the special night of Christmas eve.

"ma! when's the turkey ready!?" eunhee screamed as she impatiently waited.

"it's coming!" eunhee's mother stepped out of the kitchen with a large cooked turkey ready to be eatened.

eunhee's impatience died down when she noticed the turkey. "ma! the turkey is so ugly!" the little girl whined before her mother chuckled.

"not everything is ugly, darling. to me, it's like a source of life and to others, this turkey is the one who gives life."

eunhee nodded before rephrasing her words. "this turkey is beautiful!" as eunhee and her mother laughed, eunhee noticed there weren't any salad to eat with the turkey.

"ma. there's no salad."

eunhee's mother looked around the table before noticing there weren't any salads. "that's right. maybe i'll go buy some right now."

"okay, ma! i'll come with you!" accompanying one another towards the door, her mother placed a red scarf around the girl's neck. "it's snowing. don't catch a cold."

"okay ma!" holding onto her mother's hands warmed the snowy christmas eve. as the two stepped out of the house, a cold hush of wind pushed against the two, causing eunhee's scarf to loosen and fly onto the main road.

"ma! my scarf flew off!" pointing at the red scarf laying on the middle of the road, her mother smiled.

"wait here. i'll go grab your scarf."

"okay ma!" her mother let go of her hands. the cold got to eunhee and sent a shiver down her spine and goosebumps on her arms.

as her mother stepped on the road, attaining the scarf, eunhee smiled. "be careful ma!"

eunhee's words cut off when an incoming car sped down the main road. it didn't stop at the red light, nor when the speed cameras clicked. it didn't stop and before eunhee could call for her mother, the car collided against her mother. the flickering lights of the car flashed in eunhee's eyes, blinding her.

the last visions she saw was of her mother flying across the road. the unwanted desires of eunhee's most beloved person disappearing came true.

END OF FLASHBACK

the Christmas day started off with cold breezes, attaining goosebumps from all over namjoon's body in response.

namjoon was on his way to school when he noticed his best friend closing the door to her house. "eunhee! merry christmas!" namjoon wavered at the girl, expecting a response til he noticed her black eyes, filling with no excitement like usual.

"eunhee. are you okay?" namjoon raised his hands over the girl's shoulders before shaking her. eunhee slowly turned around before he noticed the bruises on her arms.

"n-namjoon..." eunhee stared into his eyes before a stream of tears fell from her left eye. slowly, her head met against his shoulders, wiping away the saltiness into his shirt.

as namjoon looked down at the girl, he noticed the light falls of snow

as namjoon looked down at the girl, he noticed the light falls of snow. namjoon's eyes followed a snowflake fall onto the scar on eunhee's neck. he wrapped his arms around the girl tightly. "it's alright, eunhee. i'm always here."

-
[ FIRST QUARTER MOON ]

as the night dimmed, namjoon looked up at the moon and noticed its symmetrical half

as the night dimmed, namjoon looked up at the moon and noticed its symmetrical half. looking back down, he saw eunhee was smiling.

"ma probably is enjoying turkey right now." a tear fell from the girl's cheeks before namjoon wiped it away. "merry christmas, ma!"

a scream to the moon seemed pointless, but namjoon believed it wasn't. if the moon was a source of life, then it could also be a source of hope.