10. Warnings (Edited)

Start from the beginning

I shut my eyes, before holding my hands in mid-air and squeezing my fists together. "You are unbelievable! How does anyone have the patience—!"

He scoffed. "I'm sure any girl would probably kill to be in your position right now."

Oh yeah, I'm sure. Anyone would totally kill for the chance to be annoyed to death by none other than Mr. Aiden Parker, the school's hottest player.

Yeah, right.

I bet in all the time we were sitting in that library he didn't even get anything done. Seriously, he'd been on a role for the past few days with completing his work and doing his homework, but I think today he broke it. That little nimrod.

"Did you even get anything done today?!"

"As a matter of fact, I did—!" he began, but my attention was pulled away from him by the sound of clicking against the tiled floor.

At first, my thought was that it was just another girl wearing heels, but I quickly realized that's not what it was at all. It was Evan, sporting his soccer attire, glistening with sweat from head to toe. His shoelaces were untied as he ran through the hall, his long socks bunched up at his feet. As my brain recalled what he had done to me yesterday I had the sudden urge to confront him about it.

I turned to Aiden. "I have to go,"

I didn't wait for his answer, I just turned and left him standing there as I walked down the hall with determination. Evan turned, stopping in his tracks as he saw me approaching him. I watched as his eyes flickered between me and Aiden, who was probably still standing at the entrance of the school.

He finally snapped out of his little trance, a smile coming to his lips. "Hey, Emery,"

I opened my mouth, ready to give him a piece of my mind for what he'd done to me yesterday, but as those cute little dimples popped up on his cheeks all my anger, all my confidence... washed away completely. How could I ever be mad at this wonderful boy?

"Hey,"

You are such a coward.

"Everything going okay with you and Aiden?" he asked. "I kind of overheard you two arguing from down here."

I waved off his concern, chuckling. "Oh, yeah! We were just bickering like always. He seems to have a knack for getting on my nerves a lot."

Evan nodded. "Just be careful, Emery. Don't trust anything he tells you."

I furrowed my eyebrows at Evan's words. What could Aiden possibly have done to Evan that he has these untrsutworty feelings towards him? and what could Evan have possibly done to Aiden for him to hate him so much? Evan wouldn't hurt a fly and everyone loves him. He's probably the most popular boy in school. It doesn't make any sense. Did they like date the same girl or something? And it ended badly? I could really imagine a world where Aiden and Evan both liked the same girl. They were polar opposites, after all.

"Look, I have to go, Emery, just please be careful. I don't want you to get hurt. I care about you too much."

He walked away and I was left in utter shock at the words that had come out of his mouth. He said that he cared about me, but his actions showed differently. Yet, after everything he had done to me yesterday, I couldn't hold it against him, because that's just not who I am.

But still, I couldn't get his earlier words out my head.

Don't trust anything he tells you.

My gaze went back to the double doors at the entrance of the school, where Aiden had been standing not ten minutes ago. As I continued to repeat the words over and over in my mind, I couldn't help but panic for a moment. I had known Aiden for a month now and last night I had entrusted something to him that I'd never even told my best friend, or anyone for that matter. I don't know why, but for some reason, that night, something told me that he wouldn't tell anyone. I can't explain it, it was just this feeling deep in my heart, deep inside me, that told me I could trust him. It was strange.

But now, after hearing Evan's warning... I'm not so sure I was right.

      "He warned you about Aiden?" Autumn asked as we entered my room

My room was nothing special of course. It was painted a teal blue color, with simple white curtains, a twin bed in the corner, a desk in the other, and a bookshelf filled with a collection of my favorite books. Oh, and let's not forget the two-door closet on the opposite end of the room that was half-filled with Nike shorts and t-shirts and half-filled with clothes that I'd rarely ever touched.

"Yeah, I don't know, there's something weird about those two. Like they have some sort of old grudge between them. I don't know, I honestly don't."

"Are you going to listen to him, though?"

I shrugged as I sat on the floor, against my bed. "He's honestly not as bad as everyone thinks he is, Autumn. I mean yeah, he annoys me to the ends of the earth, but he's not that bad."

"Well, I don't know what to tell you. I don't know him at all."

The truth was I didn't know either. Trust was a big thing for me and I've known Evan for so much more time than I've known Aiden. I mean, I've known him since the fifth grade, since the very beginning of my life. And what? I've known Aiden for an entire month? How could a month possibly rival seven years of trust? I shook the thought from my mind. Maybe it's best I just don't think about Aiden, or Evan, or any boys for that matter. Boys are just trouble.

Autumn and I ended up spending the next hour and a half studying for AP. Although we both took AP, we had different teachers and so they set different dates for their tests. Hers was next Wednesday, meanwhile mine was in two days.

"Okay, so what does tRNA do again?" Autumn asked.

I couldn't stop thinking about this grudge between Evan and Aiden. What could it possibly be? Were they stepbrothers or something? No, if that were true everyone would know.

"What is this grudge they have between each other?!" I practically blurted out without even thinking.

Autumn raised her eyebrow in concern, setting down her study guide. "You mean Aiden and Evan?"

I nodded.

"I don't know," she said, "but whatever it is, it must have been bad for them to hate each other as much as they do."

"Yeah," I whispered, fidgeting with my fingers, "you're probably right.

But what could it be? 

____________________________________________________________________

Hey everyone! 

Any thoughts on this scene Aiden and Emery had in the library? 

How about this little grudge between Aiden and Evan? What's that all about?

Well, I hope you all are enjoying the story as much as I'm enjoying writing it! Please don't forget to vote and comment as I have entered this story into the Watty Awards and it would mean the world to me if you could help me win! 

Much love! 

-Katy