Chapter Six

I should have known better than to go to sleep that night. I knew I would be haunted by memories that night. Why? It was a full moon. They struck on a full moon. I should have known better, but I was too tired to stay awake until the moon set. So, knowing I would regret my choice, I fell face first onto my bed. Turning over I moved until I was actually on the mattress at a semi-comfortable angle. As soon as my I reached this angle, I was out cold. I fell into darkness. Petrifying fear gripped my mind, I knew what would happen next. Blinking, The Urban Jungle came into focus. Moving beside Matthew, my one of my best friends from the Third Reapers, we slipped under the tightly woven branches and stepped into the Park. Nothing seemed out of place, people were retreating to their homes, taking strolls by moonlight, or watching from the trees for any unwelcome guests. Digger, my closest friend turned to me, about to say something. That's when the alarm sounded, and the smell of smoke followed after it. Matthew shouted to Digger, who instantly drew his blade. That's when I saw them. Masked, back-lit by the burning forest and holding torches and swords. Why they didn't choose guns is beyond me, but the swords made them look all the more terrifying. One of them pointed to me. Andrew, our leader began shouting at the other people in The Jungle to fight back. Digger pointed my in the direction of our meeting grounds and told me to run. The last thing I saw when I turned back was Matthew falling to the ground, bleeding from wear a great sword had hit his chest. I ran forward, blood pounding in my ears, heart thundering in my chest, and breath coming out in ragged gasps. I ran hard, legs pumping. Smoke blinded my vision, swatting the air, I finally found a place where I could breathe. Collapsing I looked down, my hand was bleeding, and singe marks clawed at the edges of the cut. I forced myself to stand once more and duck into a hollow tree. Foot steps sounded, I guess I fell asleep... Why was I in the forest? Then the memories hit me. I didn't have time to feel sad, I scrambled back into the shadows of the hollow tree. The foot falls came closer, and I held by breath.

"Rye? Rye, are you there?" A male voice called. "I swear if he is dead I will kill him!" A different, more angered voice called. "How can you kill him if he's already dead?" the first voice questioned. "Revive him and then throw a dagger into his heart." The second voice answered, "Duh." "Kay, you scare me." The first voice said. "What ever Booker." The second voice responded. I instantly pepped up. "Come on. Digger told us to find him." The second voice added. "RYE, ARE YOU THERE?" Kay called. "Rye Ranger! Can you hear us?" Booker called. I gulped and stepped out of the hidden hollow. "I'm here," I called out. Kay and Booker whipped around and tackled me into a hug. "You're alive!" Booker cried. "Thank the havens!" Kay added. They helped me off the ground. "Andrew sent us to find you. He... he told us to give you this." Kay said. For once he sounded solemn, and a bit sad. I took the item in his hand. Andrew's quiver. I let the tears start to fall then.

The guys followed behind me as I walked over to the barren inferno of ash and smoke. I padded slowly to where my teachers, guardians, my friends had fallen. I saw two items that had, by some miracle, survived the blaze. Matthew's long bow, and Digger's jacket. I dropped to my knees and picked up the bow. The sunlight caught the bow, setting it to shine like a bloodstained gem. I set the weapon back down. I reached for Digger's jacket, fighting back a wave of saddness Picking up it up, I saw a phrase sewn on the inside. "And the sun and the moon themselves may try to slay me, but I will still fight for you." followed by, "My time is up, take up our quest where we fell, I know you will do us well. I trust you, little brother. - Digger Ranger". I put the jacket on, and then picked up the bow. Looking back, I saw the last embers flicker brighter. My eyes widened and I ran, Booker and Kay at my heels.

I woke up, panting. I looked down at my right hand, where the fire had left me bleeding. Recovering from the shock of the dreams, one clear though hit my mind. I know who we're chasing.