Uncovered Truth

I couldn't sleep that night. I sat up in my bunk clutching my small pillow to my chest. I was unable to fathom what had happened. Throughout all of the years I've been here, I thought Aubrey was simply a strict, terrifying leader, and that I shouldn't get in her way.

Now it seemed more than that. She seemed more than that. Something about her hit closer to home. A loud noise shook me as I flinched. My thoughts were so loud, but as I stood up silence filled my head. Why couldn't I be like every other person at camp?

I stod up and walked down to the mess hall. I saw Fane trudging to his new spot at the table. He had large bags under his eyes-- guess he didn't get much sleep either. I silently ate breakfast and reported to my work on the fields. I was supposed to be shucking the corn as it came through the tube baskets. I started my job when the loudspeaker crackled to life, "Will my boy Kodi come down to the House of Leaders?"

Fane.

~*~

"Hello Kodiak," a monotone voice "greeted" me, "Fane told me to unlock it for you."

"Thanks Kiyoshi," I quietly said and scurried inside. Fane was promoted to Aubrey's large room. On the left towards the front, there was a big desk filled with papers. On the right lay a huge bed. In the back of the room, there were cabinets attached to the wall. A small ladder accompanied the cabinets so the occupant will be able to reach the top.

But it wasn't the room that had taken me aback. There were books on the shelves. Some thick, some thin, but they were all still books.

Fane came out of a large closet, and looked a bit ashamed when he saw me. "Hey Kodiak, listen man, I'm real sorry 'bout yesterday. I've been takin' her death too hard. I shouldn't be taking it out on you."

I slapped him on the back, "It's fine. You've been stressed. It's good to have you back man!"

I could sense that Fane was still a bit stressed, and continued to feel the uneasy tension between us.

"I got some news for you," Fane said walking to the black desk. He opened a cabinet and took out a folder.

"These are the descriptions of anyone and everyone who has ever entered camp."

It was a thuck stack with about thirty sheets of paper. Aubrey's profile was lying on the very top. Fane turned it over before I could read any more of it. He flipped through all of them and opened up the last page.

It was me.

Kodiak Adriano Helteon
Birthday: July 11, 2056
Arrival Date: September 25, 2071
How: Plants

It all was true, but the 'how' confused me. Plants was an interest, but what the heck was a how?

Fane broke the silence, "Did you notice anything?"

I shook my head. No, I didn't understand a thing.

He then flipped back to the first page.

Aubrey Addison Helteon
Birthday: June 21, 2052
Arrival Date: October, 30, 2057
How: Selfless

We had the same last name. What if it was just a coincident?

Then it all came rushing back to me.

The girl grabs her bag and jumps in after me. She flings me onto the bank as the water begins to swallow her up until her shoulders, neck, chin, forehead cannot be seen. The last of her short auburn hair disappears.

The girl was Aubrey.

"Okay, don't stay out too late! I need help with dinner especially after your sister-"

That was my mum. My sister was Aubrey. Aubrey knew the whole time.

And now she's dead.
My sister is dead.

I stood there frozen as Fane watched me. I was emotionless. Or had too many emotions

I didn't know what to feel.

I was mad that she never told me.
Sad that she died.
Happy because I finally knew.

Shocked at the uncovered truth.

Anyone guessed when the last sleepy-mare came? Hope y'all enjoyed that plot twist if you didn't figure it out before! :)

Comment
Vote
Follow
~EverFaith03