Sleepy-Mare

I lay back letting myself relax in the care of the soft grass. The warm sun shone into my face relaxing my features.

Carefree, blissful are a couple of words to describe my life.

With a yawn I dozed off.

I was young again. I was in a... different place.

"Kodiak, don't wander too far off!"

"I won't Mum!" The young me called out.

"Okay, don't stay out too late! I need help with dinner especially after your sister-"

"I'll be back in time!" And with that I ran off.

I raced onto the grass holding something.

It was an ancient script called a book. Books were very valuable and rare. There were very few, but somehow I got ahold of one about plants.

I saw myself sitting besides a small stream picking up small plants, flowers, and herbs, and pasting them inside the book.

Then, suddenly, a small light appeared.
Tales would say to always follow the light.

And that's what I did.

I cautiously stepped into the stream as the cool water washed over my feet.

A tingling sensation took over and something grabbed at my foot pulling me closer and closer to the water.

Tears streamed down my face as u cried out, "Mum! Mum please! MUM!"

"Man, you okay?!" A voice shook me awake.
I look up to see Fane scared out of his wits.
"Man, you be havin' one of them sleepy-mares!"

I lifted my hand up to wipe my forehead that was beaded in sweat.
Fane handed me a leaf filled with water.

"Thanks," I whispered as I sat up to drink the water.

"Of course Kodi, I saw you rolling back and forth lookin' so pained. Thought water would help... better get ya to the clinic."

"NO!" I yelled making Fane jump, "I mean, sorry. I'm not going back there."

"Man, you're gonna get sick!"

I sighed, "That's what you say everytime, but I haven't gotten sick yet. Everytime those, those stupid.. things come I go to the clinic... they think it's just an excuse..."

"But it's not!" Fane cried, not understanding my point of view.

"You understand," I said putting my hand on his shoulder, "But others don't."

I stood up to leave, but something stopped me.

"Fane," I started.

He looked up.

"Do you know what a 'mum' is?"

"A what?" He asked clueless.

"A 'mum'!" I answer.

"Sorry brother, but I don't know what a, um, a.. mom-a-who-za-what-zit is."

I slouched down feeling useless. These images would come whenever I slept, but I could never understand it.

"C'mon Kodiak, we're gonna talk to Aubrey 'bout this."

Hey readers! Hope you are enjoying!

Comment
Vote
Follow
~EverFaith03