She began to think she didn't deserve to be loved.

Emily couldn't tell Scott that job references were out of the question. She wondered if she could forge a letter from the Department of Health.

Scott put his arm round her, which she found reassuring. 'I wouldn't mind you not working. My salary is going to be more than what I'm getting in the UK. And probably a lot more over time.' He kissed her on the side of her head.

Emily contemplated how that would affect her; to stay at home in Boston; no friends and nothing to do. She wished she could talk now to Jessica about this. It would have to wait until their return to London.

Scott broke into her thoughts. 'To be honest, I would love you to stay at home, to make a home for us, shop, learn to play golf. And look after me.'

It occured to Emily that this was the typical response from Scott. . . all his solutions . . . but no discussion about her problem, or understanding of her issues, or getting onto her wavelength. She needed more time to think this through with Jessica. She responded to Scott, 'I guess it gets rid of the Work Visa hassle.' Although her words said one thing, and would appear to Scott to mean it, in fact Emily meant something else. Her meaning was one of, let's leave it because I cannot get you to see what I want. It didn't help when she admitted to herself that she wasn't sure what she wanted.

-O-

Scott was pleased as they jumped off the bus to grab a sandwich in a Starbucks. Emily had agreed to live with him in Boston, to make a home for them, and they could play golf . . . he would teach her . . . , and they would have such fun. They walked and looked at some shops.

'Oh look,' exclaimed Emily, as she pulled Scott to a halt outside a man's clothes shop.

Scott examined the display window, but he didn't know what he was searching for.

'Come on,' she said, as he was dragged into the carpeted, wood panelled shop. Scott strolled in behind Emily to let her take over. She got the attention of the assistant, perched her sunglasses on top of her head, and exaggerated her polite request, 'can you show me, please, your most expensive, best, ties?'

They were shown a selection of designer silk ties, but Scott noted it was Emily who decided which tie would most suit him. She picked one out and held it against him. 

'Stand still, darling,' she said.

Scott heard the word of endearment, liked it, and liked the way her hand drew down the back of the tie and touched his groin. He knew for sure she meant it, a hidden pass, a message. He managed to say, 'I have ties already.'

'I'm buying you the tie for one good reason.' 

The assistant had come round to approve the look and listen, no doubt to support the reason for the purchase. 'I'm buying this beautiful tie so I can smear my lipstick all over it, if you upset me again, like the last time.'

The three seconds of silence seemed to Scott unusually long. The assistant blinked. Emily burst out laughing and Scott loved the girl facing him even more. The assistant smiled politely.

Scott watched her pay for the tie. He reflected that Emily would either be a massive hit in the medical circles of Mass General, or, a big-time English humour mistake. He decided he didn't care, so long as he kept her. Her single word of darling had raised his heart beat.

Scott hugged Emily as they emerged from the shop. The weather had turned suddenly overcast and a splattering of rain drops descended from the threatening sky. Scott pulled her along. 'We'll walk fast.'