Chapter 12//Behind the wall

Four's POV
This morning I woke up feeling happier than I have in a while. I don't know whether it was escaping last night alive or getting to see her. The chemistry between us lights a fire in my heart that gives my life a certain meaning that I have been yearning for for a while. Every time I think of her I remember when she fell through the skylight. The way her hair glittered in the moonlight and how her cheeks blushed a light pink like the roses out side my house, when she understood the intimacy of the position we were in. I like that about her. How she tries to hide the vulnerable girl inside of her with a wall of ignorance and strong will. In a way she reminds me of someone that I can't put my finger on. But I've never felt this way about a girl before. Yet I'm happy to welcome the feeling with open arms.

I have a grin plastered on my face the whole way to school and as I walk across the lot to join my friends at our usual spot. It takes me a second to realise that everything has become silent and I look around to see that everyone is looking at me, even some people from other tables. Something's wrong.
"What?" I ask
"What's on your face?" Uriah asks looking quite astounded.
"What is their some food on it or something?" I ask again, feeling my face for any unapproved substances.
"No. But.. you're .. smiling..." Zeke says looking even more astounded.
"Oh.. well that's only because I have reason to kick ur ass for mucking up last night" I respond, whilst plastering a scowl on my face. Then everyone looks normal again and I sigh as the attention is no longer on me. But before the conversation can continue, the bell rings, summoning everyone to class.

//time lapse to homeroom//

I take my seat next to Tris as Ms Wu comes in.
"Morning" I mutter in Tris' direction.
"Good morning" she chirps back. I freeze. Tris never 'chirps' back anything.
"What's wrong with you?" I ask genuinely interested.
"Oh,",she responds blushing ,"um, I'm just happy that we are back in school!"
I look deep into her eyes trying to dig my way through her facade.
"I don't think anyone has ever been happy to be back at school" I mutter back, earning a giggle. Wait a giggle? Tris never giggles unless I'm making a fool of myself. I look back at her and see her covering her mouth almost as if the giggle slipped out by accident. Something is definitely off. But before I can question her any further, Ms Wu enters the classroom and everyone goes silent.

"Ok class. Today I am going to give you an assignment that will last the next 3 weeks." She says, earning groans from around the classroom, which she brushes off like flies.
"For the next 3 weeks you will be taking part in a challenge. Each week of the challenge you will choose one of your biggest fears and at least attempt to face it. Some of you may master your fears, some of you may not. The task will be in partners with the person next to you." Tris and I quickly glance at one another before resuming our gaze to the front.
"I advise you to put in as much effort as possible as this task will go towards 75% of your overall semester grade. And don't forget to make a diary or a journal, of every fear that you face-" but before she can delve deeper into the topic, the bell rings.

Tris and I remain seated until everyone has gone, leaving us alone.
"So, do you want to meet at my house this afternoon?" She asks.
"Ok, but you're facing your fear first!" I respond, not looking forward to making a fool out of myself.
"Fine. See you tonight!" She says, before grabbing her bag and strutting out of the room. I think that that might have been the first decent conversation I've had with Tris Prior in 6 years. Maybe people can change... but I'm left with the question dangling in my head as the day drags out, until I finally have to knock on her front door...

Disclaimer//I don't own Divergent, it was written by the amazingly talented Veronica Roth