Chapter one

Pic: to give you an idea of the setting! (Picture of Amelia at the first page)

Amelia

Every time it got a hold of me, I let out a scream. Its claws tore my skin. Blood kept streaming out of the newly made wounds running down my legs. It stung every time my raw skin came in contact with anything. I was almost certain my left arm was broken considering all the times I had fallen, it made sense that something would eventually break.

It felt like my whole body was on fire. I knew I could never have run this far or this fast, if it was not for the adrenalin that was burning through my veins. I had no idea where I was going. There was no time to think about directions. It felt like a power in the pit of my stomach drew me somewhere.

It felt like years since I last saw my house. In reality it had only been two hours. I was living there with my dad. It was only the two of us, because my mother had died, when I was very young.

I was sitting in my room and reading a book peacefully. I had had the book for a while, but never found the time to read it. I had bought it in an old bookstore in the city, where I rarely came due to the long train ride. I surely regret that now. I had known I did not have a lot of time left for reading, because I had to head over to my best friend's house in about half an hour. I still hadn't showered or gotten out of my blue pyjamas, but I could just not put the book down yet; I just had to finish one more chapter.

I was brought out of my thoughts, when I nearly ran into a three. I looked behind for the first time in a while, only to see that the monster was still chasing me. It was getting closer and closer. I was a lot smaller than the monster, therefore, it was easier for me to get through the darkest and deepest parts of the forest. It would have been an advantage if the monster was not so big. It simply broke the trees in halves.

I was scared out of my mind. I had never seen anything like this before. I could not help but wonder if this was a nightmare. Maybe I would wake up in my bedroom, book placed neatly in my lap, realising I fell asleep just when the plot was happening. I would then continue reading while slightly shaking my head at the weird dream I had had. Maybe a nightmare was a better choice of words. I would wonder if the monster was looking like a dog, due to my fear of dogs. I could only wonder, but there was no time for that, because this was no dream. I was being chased by a monster. A monster that looked like a white dog, except it had long icicle sticking out of its back.

It was gigantic, almost the size of a car. Sticking out of its mouth were white, sharp teeth, at least more than a hundred, all ready to tear me to pieces. Its back was arched like when a cat got scared. This monster did not, however, seem scared. No, it looked ready to kill and as unfortunate as I always am: I was its victim.

The sound of trees breaking closed in behind me. With wounds covering my body, I ran for my life. Branches cutting my skin like knifes, getting in my way when I did not duck down fast enough. I ran further into the forest, getting further away from my house. I was getting tired, due to all the running I had done today. Having sprinted for a long time made me dizzy. I could feel my legs starting to shake beneath me.

I regretted not heading for the lake close to my house. It would have been the perfect hiding place. I could have swum to the middle of the lake and the monster could not have reached me. Well, I didn't know if it could swim, so maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.

Suddenly I could taste salt and I realized I was crying. Tears streamed down my cheeks and it blurred my vision. Not knowing where to find safety made me lose all hope of staying alive. Just as I was about to give up, about to stop running, lie down and accept my destiny, I saw a clearing.The big tree crowns made sure that little to almost no sunlight came through all the way down to the ground. Therefore, the clearing was easy to spot, even though it was far away. I did not think there was any strength left in me, but soon my legs carried me towards it faster than ever. When I got closer, I saw that this was not a clearing, it was the end of the forest. I immediately stopped. I knew there would be no place to hide if I made it out. There were no trees to hide behind, holding my breath while hoping for the best. I soon decided that it was no better to stay in the forest. Sooner or later the monster would find me. It was only a matter of time.

The dog-like monster was closing in on me. It seemed like this monster, with its cold dark eyes, never grew tired. It had been chasing me since it unexpectedly showed up at my house.

I was done getting ready to head out, closed and locked the front door and started heading to my best friend's house. I was a little late, but she would understand, when she heard about my exciting book.

She lived close by, so I saw no reason to take my bike, instead I decided to walk. With my backpack slung over my shoulder, my jacket under my arm, and music in my ears, I was on my way. I did not get far before I stopped, feeling like I was being watched. I soon started running.

That was how I ended up here in the forest, a long way from home, running faster than ever before. I was used to play in between the close standing trees behind my house. However, I had never been this far into the forest.

When I was little I would spend most of my time in here, building tree houses and pretending I was an animal, but I had promised my father never to walk this deep into it.

I was almost at the clearing now, just a few more steps and I would be out of this never ending forest. As I was about to pass the last three, something tripped me.

I crashed straight to the ground, letting out an ear piercing scream. If I had not been in the middle of nowhere, I could have drowned out every single sound in a city the size of Tokyo. I was not, though, and no one would hear me out here. I was utterly alone.

During the fall my head hit the ground, giving me a terrible headache. My already broken arm cushioned the fall, making the pain in it even worse. Another pain spread through my body, coming from my right ankle. It was stuck in a root which was the reason I fell in the first place. I slowly tried to move again; fighting to sit up.

Just I few more steps and I would be out. It took me a while to sit up, feeling like it was the hardest thing I had ever done.

I tried, with what power I had left to pull my foot out, with no luck. It was stuck. The monster was getting closer. I could not see it yet, but I could hear on the sounds it was making that it was getting closer and closer.

***

Still trying to get my ankle free, pulling with all my strength, I looked around agitatedly. I could not see anything at the moment, sweat getting in my eyes. The fact that I was surrounded by something that looked like corn, did not help either.

I decided that if I was going to die, I might as well die standing, looking my killer in the eye. So that is what I did. I must have stood up too quickly, because suddenly my whole body felt heavy.

I was still tired after running. Black spots started appearing; minimizing my view. My lungs fought to get enough air, a battle they were losing. My eyes were getting heavy and I was ready to close them for maybe the last time ever. A silent scream left my body, letting the last air, to ever fill my lungs, out.

**

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote :)

IMPORTANT: I am going to write a joke at the end of every chapter, because I think that is hilarious!

The joke of the day (going to be one of these at every chapter!): 
Starting a cover band called "A Book" so no one can judge us.