He must've been more worried than I thought.

"One more please," Zayn asked the bartender who seemed surprised at how fast Zayn finished the bottle.

I placed my hand on Zayn's cheek, "babe, are you okay?"

"Fine," he said slowly, the beer getting to him.

"No, not fine," I argued. "I want to know, Zayn."

He sighed, then took my hand and placed it on his chest. I felt his heart beating rapidly, and I knew it wasn't because of the alcohol he just consumed. I looked up at him to see him looking straight at me, his eyes partly full of fear.

"You feel that?" He asked. "That's because of how terrified I am that I might accidentally hurt you again."

I shook my head, "you never hurt me."

The bartender brought the drink, but Zayn didn't lose eye contact with me. "That day you got hit by the car, my fault. The day your dad slapped you, my fault. When the guy sliced your arm, my fault." He took in a deep sigh, "just because I have never directly harmed you, doesn't mean that I have never hurt you."

I shook my head again, "Zayn, please. . ."

I waited for something comforting to come from my mouth. I wanted something mind boggling to escape my lips easily, so that Zayn could feel better. He deserved it. Every time I was sad, he knew exactly what to say. But of course, I was not as amazing as him.

Finally, I said, "you have never hurt me. Nothing was your fault. Nothing. You're saving me Zayn, remember?"

He sighed before reaching over to grab the glass bottle waiting for him on the counter. I left my hand on his chest, not wanting to move it. He took a heavy sip from the bottle, shutting his eyes as if it brought him relief.

"I love you," I whispered.

His eyes immediately flung open. He slowly pulled the bottle away from his lips then set it on the counter. Then he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me on top of his lap. I shut my eyes already before his alcoholic lips pressed to mine. I felt the bitter taste of the beer but the sweet taste of his lips, not knowing which was more intoxicating.

He was kissing me deeply now. I knew that it was one of those kisses that he kissed when he thought something was about to happen to us, or someone was going to separate us the moment our lips pulled apart.

I rummaged my free hand through his hair, my other one continued to feel the pulse on his chest. He held on to me tightly, making sure that I wasn't going to slip away.

And I didn't.

Once our lips separated, his eyes opened to check if I was still there. I smiled at him, the alcoholic taste still tingling my tongue.

"I love you too," he finally said.

***

About an hour later, at 11:49, Zayn was completely drunk. And I mean really really drunk. The type of drunk where you tripped over your own feet.

I didn't stop him from drinking, knowing that he did get stressed about small things that hit him fast. But as we walked through the people to try and find Carlee and Drew and he was giggling at his shadow, I knew that I shouldn't have let him drink that many.

On a side note, he was so adorable when he giggled.

But even as Zayn was drunk, he held on to me tightly while drunk men stumbled by, keeping a sharp eye out. Once we saw Carlee and Drew, I realized Carlee was even more drunk than before. Drew was holding on to her elbow, keeping her from falling.