Chapter 37 ♡

Chapter 37

(Kat's POV)

Zayn and I were sitting at "The Heart", the place we always came when we had nothing else to do.

I quit modeling, but Zayn was still the only person who knew other than Gusto of course. Hopefully he hasn't told Cora yet.

I had finally been eating right, but I was still hesitant into what I ate. But Zayn was happy, so I was too.

Zayn and I were sitting in the snow. The small stream frozen in front of us, white snow piled up all around us. It was freezing, but I didn't mind.

Zayn and I both had a blanket over our shoulders, Zayn's arm wrapped around my waist. My head rested on his shoulder. There was complete and utter silence in the air, but it wasn't in any way awkward, but long awaited.

Zayn had been acting strange this whole day, something was bothering him but he wasn't telling me. I wasn't sure if I should ask him or let him be, but I knew that I would soon get too curious.

"Babe?" Zayn spoke, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know what the date is today?"

I opened my phone, checking the date. "November 13th."

"I thought so," he murmured under his breath.

I looked up at him, noticing his tensed facial features. "Why?"

He sighed and I thought he was going to say something but all he replied with was, "just wondering."

"Oh," I said. Maybe he just didn't want to tell me. I don't know. But I really wanted to know. And I could tell he was lying.

I took his hand into my own and began playing with his fingers, "I can tell when you're lying babe."

He didn't say anything, and I knew this must've been personal. So I continued playing with his fingers, which were freezing cold. I really just wanted to comfort him.

He sighed, "it's mum's birthday."

I looked up at him, not expecting that. "Babe," I whispered, "it's okay-"

"No it's not Kat," he spat. His change in tone surprised me a bit but I knew not to think much of it considering that he was a bit worried. "This is her first birthday I'm spending without her, it's killing me Kat."

I ran my hand up and down his arm soothingly, "why don't you call her to wish her. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear your voice."

"I can't call her," he said, "I haven't even talked to her since I left. It's been months. I won't even know what to say."

"Yes you will," I replied, "she's your mother, she won't care about what you say, all she cares about is you."

He shook his head, "no I can't. It'll ruin her day."

"Babe-"

"I just can't."

I sighed, "she's your mom Zayn. No matter what you do babe, she's always going to love you."

He listened to my words intensively, deciding weather or not to call her. But he said, "I'm sorry Kat."

"Then let me call her," I said to him. He looked down at me, shocked at my words. He stayed silent for a while them said, "what?"

"Let me call her," I said, "if you aren't going to tell her that you're okay, I will."

He stared at me for a long long time before finally typing her number in my phone. I wasn't ready to talk to her, in fact she probably doesn't even know who I am, but I had to wing it: for Zayn.