CHAPTER 32 Can't You See

I was thankful for the warm weather that continued to pervade coastal Georgia, even after sunset, allowing me to retreat to my sanctuary with Axl. I needed a few minutes to clear my head before calling Ty.

I spread my blanket on the roof, positioned my pillow, laid back and gazed at the stars. Contemplating the vastness of the universe, my problems seemed insignificant and manageable. I can do this.

When I turned my phone on, I saw that I had six missed calls from Ty. I also had six texts that became increasingly unhinged as the hour progressed.

"I thought we were going to the movies. Call me ASAP."

"He probably made his mother ask you."

"How long does dinner take? Call me."

"Seriously?"

"I'm going to kill him."

"If I don't hear from you soon, I'm coming to get you. CALL ME!"

"Wow," I said out loud. "Maybe I can't do this."

I took a deep breath and called. Before it rang twice, Ty answered.

"Where are you?" he demanded.

"On my roof. Nice texts. What's your problem?"

"What's my problem? You know how I feel about Powers and you went to his house for dinner again without even discussing it with me?"

"I'm sorry, Dad. I didn't realize I was required to discuss my social calendar with you."

"You are when it comes to him."

"Can you calm down, please, so I can tell you what happened?"

He was silent.

I took another deep breath before I began. "Don't freak out, but I spent the whole day there."

"What?!"

"I said don't freak out. Listen. I went to work this morning, same as any other day. When I got there, Michael asked me to take a ride with him. I thought he needed help getting something for the nursery, only we ended up at his house. Long story short, he planned the day as his birthday present for me."

"I don't want 'long story short'. I want details."

"We hung out in the garden, had a picnic, and went horseback riding. When we were through riding, Angie was at the stable and asked if I'd stay for dinner. She's so sweet, Ty, and I would've felt bad saying no. But then dinner turned into a birthday party with cake and I guess time just got away from me. It wasn't planned. Don't be mad."

"Maybe it wasn't planned by you, but it was obviously planned by Mike. I'm going to kill him."

"You're not going to kill anyone, so please stop saying that. It's upsetting."

"He knows you're with me and yet he does everything he can to insert himself into your life. That's upsetting to me! Why would you stay there once you knew what he had planned?"

"I couldn't just leave."

"You could have called me to pick you up."

"All right, I didn't want to leave. They have this secret English garden and it was peaceful and beautiful and relaxing and I've been so busy lately and I was getting paid to not work and the weather was perfect and..."

I rambled when I was nervous.

"Enough," he interrupted. "I can't hear any more of this. I've got to go before I say anything else. Before you say anything else."