CHAPTER 20 Playing With Fire

One tear from each eye rolled down my cheeks as I watched him drive away. I wasn't sad, I was frustrated and confused. I was quite possibly in love with the Ty that was thoughtful and romantic and generous and sweet, the Ty that had just held me so tenderly. But I also had to consider the Ty that wanted to control my life. When he didn't get his way, he could be a real jerk.

But it was Saturday night and I wasn't going to be the girl who sat in her room crying over a guy. I wiped the tears from my cheeks and decided to shower away my frustration.

Mum stopped me before I could get to the stairs. "Essie," she called from the kitchen. "Come tell us about your first day at work."

She and my siblings were in the middle of dinner. "I'm sorry we didn't wait for you, sweetie. I just assumed you'd be going to dinner with Ty."

"That was the plan. But he's still giving me a hard time about working at the nursery and I just didn't want to deal with him tonight," I admitted.

"Well, good for you," she said in an encouraging tone. "Are you going to join us then?"

"No, thanks. Michael invited me to his house for dinner. He said they have a bunch of people over every Saturday night. I told him no because I already had plans with Ty, but since that's not the case anymore, I figured I'd check it out."

"Good for you," she repeated. "You know I think it's best if you don't spend so much time with Ty. He's a nice boy and all, but I'd rather see you doing some things with your friends like you used to back in Bradford."

"I know, Mum. But I don't have friends here like I did in Bradford. And on that note, I'm going to get in the shower."

"Okay, sweetie."

I was ready in fifteen minutes. Thankfully, Michael had given me his phone number earlier in the day in case I needed to get in touch with him for any work-related reason. I found the little square of paper in my purse and pressed each number carefully. The phone rang twice.

"Essie!" he exclaimed happily.

I was pleasantly surprised. Apparently, he had already entered my number in his phone. "Hey, Michael. I was wondering if it was too late to stop by your house."

"Not at all. We still have plenty of food, if you're hungry, and my mama can't wait to meet you. My daddy told her what great job you did today. Would you like me to pick you up?"

"Thanks, but I'd like to drive. You can give me directions, though."

"Sure."

Two minutes later, I was on my way to the Powers' residence. They lived about five miles or so from my house, not far from the nursery. Pulling into the driveway, I counted at least a dozen cars parked in various places around a large log cabin-style ranch. Behind the house, I could see a sizable pasture enclosing a few horses and a red barn in the distance. Michael was sitting on the top step of the front porch and jumped up when he saw me.

"I'm so glad you changed your mind," he said earnestly, grabbing the car door and helping me out. As soon as he touched my arm, I felt a tingle that radiated out from under his hand. It wasn't the jolt I had felt when we shook hands at our first meeting; this was more like the tingly vibration you feel from a massager.

"Ooh. Did you feel that?"

"Feel what?"

"Nothing. Thanks again for inviting me."