CHAPTER 25 Calling on You

We walked into the coffee shop hand in hand as curious passers-by gawked at the couple who arrived in the shiny, red Ferrari. I was used to that by now, no longer embarrassed by the attention. To my delight, I saw my Brit Lit neighbor camped out at a table strewn with books, diligently pecking away at the keyboard of her laptop. I interpreted this as a definitive sign that we were meant to be friends and squeezed Ty's hand in excitement.

"That's Karen, the girl from my Literature class that I told you about," I whispered.

He nodded in acknowledgment. "Let's go sit with her."

"Let's," I agreed.

We approached the table and she didn't look up, obliviously engrossed in her studies. This was good. "Hi, Kah-ren," I interrupted, trying hard to make the r roll off my tongue the way she did.

"Oh, my gosh. How long have you been standing there? I'm so sorry," she said, suddenly flustered.

"No worries. We just got here. Do you mind if we join you?"

"Of course not," she responded, quickly gathering her books and putting them in a neat pile on the floor next to her chair.

Ty pulled out the chair directly across from Karen and waited for me to be seated before taking the chair next to mine.

"Karen, do you know Ty?"

"I know who you are, of course, but we've never been introduced. I'm Karen Canta."

"It's nice to finally meet you, Karen Canta. Essie's spoken of you often," he drawled, rising slightly to extend his hand, demonstrating his old-fashioned southern manners. When she extended hers, he clasped it and made eye contact. "There's no need to be nervous. I just know that we're all going to be great friends."

"Great friends," she repeated submissively, not able to look away.

"Great," I chimed in. "Um, Ty, let's go get our coffee."

"Sure," he agreed, letting go of Karen's hand and turning his attention to me.

"Be right back, Karen," I smiled.

When we were out of earshot, I squeezed his hand tightly. "You just dazzled her," I declared.

"She was nervous and I wanted her to get past that quickly so that she could be herself around us. Plus, I wanted to be sure that she'd be a good friend to you. Now, she will be. You're not mad, are you?" he asked innocently.

"No, I'm not mad," I sighed. "It's just different when you do it to someone I know."

"I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize. I know you're just looking out for me," I said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "Hey, do you think we could trust Karen with your secret? I could really use someone else to talk to."

"Not just yet, Ess. Let's give it a little while. And we'll have to discuss it with Mara, too."

"You're right. I just miss Jane."

He hugged me tightly. Without letting go, he ordered our coffees when the barista was available.

We spent the next hour talking and laughing with Karen as though we had all been friends for years. I didn't want to leave but I knew I should get home to start dinner. Before we walked out, I offered, "You know, I study every day right after school. If you're interested, you should come over."