CHAPTER 6: THE MAKING OF THE MESSAGE

She had another one last afternoon, it was brief but it was there

She had another one last afternoon, it was brief but it was there. She didn't tell anyone about it. In the morning, she got dressed hastily and snuck out of the house, she could hear her parent's chatter from the main living room, that's how they were whenever they met, she didn't think they slept when one of them paid a visit to the other, it's like they had this massive catching up to do. Zeenah wondered how Abbie cope though, he was the quiet one in the bunch, but Ammie and Mamma could go on and on, and their love for one another was out of this world, she was a living proof of that.

Some people might think they were siblings or even cousins, but she had never seen a friendship that lasted like that of her parents, both the biological and the pseudo-parents, while growing up they spoiled her to bits and pieces, her brothers were openly jealous of her.

Now it seemed funny she was avoiding them, for reasons better left unsaid.

When she was safely belted in her car, she let out a sigh. That was a narrow escape. The shadow that loomed over her made her jerked up.

"Ya salam!"

When she looked up she hissed, "What is it Julde?"

"Yaya Fari ne tashe kijjira ta."

She rolled her eyes, oh no! She clearly understood who he meant, Ya Abdul Aziz was also called Yaya fari because he was the fairest of them all, even fairer than Ammie, so everyone conveniently called him Yellow, until he sternly stopped that, after they moved back to Kano from the UK the trend continued and he became 'fari' for friends and family alike, hence Yaya A.A Fari, or just Yaya Fari.

She dialed his number she couldn't afford to be late, she had a morning meeting and it was almost 8 AM.

"Yes?"

"Ya A.A I'm late."

"Sorry, just a minute." She knew he was in there, grooming himself, he liked to always appear speck clean, and with his clean cut suits, and well-sized kaftaans that's how he turned heads of girls, and young women alike, half his female students crush over him and the other half were married women, who had no choice than to focus on being married.

She shook her head when he came out bearing a messenger bag draped across his chest,  he wore brown linen shirt under his camel and blue check blazer, paired with a tan chinos trouser and Aldo shoes completed his look, he was too sophisticated for Tumbin Giwa. Maybe that was why the City was called that, because it contained everyone from every walk of life, her posh brother included.

"Are you by any chance meeting 'her' today?" she said in a greeting, wiggling her brows at him.

"Why? I always wash up nicely,"

"Zan zo satan turare,"

"It's called men's perfume for a reason, let's go. You will drop me on your way."