Chapter 7

Sherlock handed me my fake passport once we'd exited the airport, there was a taxi parked by the curb waiting. I followed Sherlock into the backseat and flipped open the passport, it was the same picture from my actual passport but my name had been changed to Alison Megan Holmes. "Where are we going?" I asked Sherlock quietly as the taxi wound through the streets.

"Mycroft rented a house in a neighbourhood not far from here, according to him our story is that we just moved here from New York state." He looked out the window, we we talking quietly enough that we didn't have to fake accents but whenever we spoke out loud Sherlock said we needed to sound as American as we could, his accent was much better than mine it made me wonder if he'd done this before.

"How did he get this set up so fast?" I asked reading over a piece of paper that had all of our new information on it. "I already have a job and you  somehow manged to get a car already."

Sherlock smiled, "It's Mycroft he is the British Government when he wants something done it gets done right away, everything is being paid for upon his request; this is more than a case now it's a government mission meaning they're paying for and organizing everything." 

The taxi stopped then and Sherlock got out, I followed. We were on the sidewalk of a very small and quiet neighbourhood, it was dark out and the neighbourhood seemed to be asleep. Sherlock paid the cabbie before leading the way to the door, the house was bigger than I'd expected with what looked to be two or three floors and presumably a basement. He unlocked the door and opened it heading into the dark house. 

I followed him clumsily until he found a light switch and flipped it on, we were standing in the front entrance hall. The walls were beige with a closet for coats and a long bench to set things on, to the right of the hallway was a staircase, the hallway stretched beyond the staircase to what I guessed was the living room and kitchen. "Mycroft managed to rent this within twenty four hours?" I looked around in shock, this house was much more luxurious than I'd expected.

"The wonders of being in the government," Sherlock sighed before moving towards the staircase. 

The house already had most of the basic furniture, I followed Sherlock as he walked through the house turning on lights and he went, the upstairs had four rooms; two bedrooms, a bathroom and an office. We encountered a small problem when e realized there was only one bed in the larger bedroom. Sherlock didn't really see it as an issue, he offered buying another bed but I told him it was okay. "We can go buy food and stuff tomorrow," He said once I'd finished unpacking what I'd brought. 

"Okay," I agreed standing up and turning to face him.

"One more thing," He reached into his pocket and tossed something to me, I caught it and opened my hand; it was a small gold ring decorated with little diamonds and the one larger diamond. "You'll only have to wear it if we go anywhere, it's part of the whole keeping up appearances thing." 

I nodded and set the ring down on the table beside the bed, I didn't need to make sure it would fit I already knew it would. I looked back at Sherlock as a thought occurred to me, we were here to find Moriarty but while doing so we needed to seem as normal as possible. I realized that would mean we'd have to meet people and talk to them and act like a real married couple. I walked up to Sherlock and looked up at him, "Maybe just one more thing." I said.

"What would that be?" He asked.

I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him briefly, I pulled away quickly and stepped back taking in his slightly startled expression. "There, now if there's ever a need for us to kiss in public we won't have a problem." I held back a smile and took a deep breath to calm my racing heart, a part of me didn't believe I'd just kissed Sherlock Holmes; the thought made me really happy.