Ch. 10: Passing Lights

The bus was on its way to Chicago. We were supposed to be getting there sometime in the morning. Everyone else had gone to sleep in their bunks, but I was lying awake on the mattress that had been produced by unfolding the couch. Jasey was supposed to be sleeping with me but, as always, she had found her way into one of the band members' bunks. I assumed it was Slash, since she had hinted towards him earlier.

I stared out the tinted window absentmindedly, counting the street lamps that passed overhead as we chugged along down the highway. It was around one in the morning and I was nowhere near tired. The concert had been amazing. The sounds of the crowd were still ringing somewhere in my ear and the adrenaline I'd felt as the music pulsed through me was still running through my veins. It had been exhilarating, to say the least.

"Hey, you awake?" came a whisper.

"No," I answered.

I stole a glance towards the scrunched kitchen area and saw a tall shadow lurking in the corner. The head of the figure had wild hair and smoke wafting from it. Although the shadow could've been any one of the guys, something in my gut told me I knew exactly who it was who had joined me in the darkness.

"Did you enjoy the concert?" The bus passed under a bright light and black eyes gleamed at me. I shivered slightly.

"I did. Did you?"

The figure chuckled and I felt my heart skip a beat. "It was okay."

I nodded, turning back to look out of the window. I felt my body tensing. I knew he wouldn't hurt me, but I couldn't help but feel on edge. I knew better than to fear him, but that didn't stop me from worrying about myself. I'd already made myself look like an idiot in front of him multiple times, I didn't need to add more dumb moves to my ever expanding track record.

"Mind if I join you?"

My hands were clammy. Let this guy I hardly know into my bed? Let this rockstar into my bed? The one who probably had his way with hundreds of women before and would have no problem trying to take his chances on me as well?

But I trusted him. He knew I wasn't like Jasey, and I knew he wasn't like every other rockstar out there.

"Sure," I said, patting the vacant spot next to me.

I continued to stare out the window. All of my senses heightened as soon as the mattress drooped under the weight of his body. It creaked as he kicked back back and made himself comfortable.

"Why are you still awake?" he asked.

I shrugged. "Just not very sleepy. What about you?"

"I had to pee," he said honestly, chuckling as he spoke.

I giggled, finally turning onto my side to face him. He remained on his back, but turned his neck so that he was face to face with me. I saw the smile on his face, his teeth gleaming in the passing lights.

"At least you're honest," I said.

His grin slowly dissipated and he turned to look up at the ceiling. I followed his lead, returning to lying on my back, watching shadows sweep along the interior of the bus.

"Duff keeps talking about you," he said finally.

I smirked. "Oh, really?"

"He's determined to have you."

I rolled my eyes. "I'd love to see him try."

That made him laugh and I relished in the sound.

"I feel the same."

I peeked at him to check his expression, but his face was void of any and all emotion. Not to mention, it was too dark to see much of anything anyway.

He felt the same about what? Wanting to have me, or wanting to see Duff fall all over himself to get me? I told myself I didn't care either way, but I felt a tug in my chest that strongly said otherwise.

I quickly turned away, rolling onto my side to face the wall. My body had gotten stiff from anticipation and I prayed he hadn't noticed. "Goodnight, Izzy."

There was silence for a moment, and I wondered if maybe he had somehow already fallen asleep. Just as I was about to check to see if maybe he had run back off to his bunk, I heard a light yawn. "Goodnight, Abby."