{two}

"There you are! I thought you ditched me," Amber greeted. Amber Thornton had been my best friend since kindergarten when she shared her animal crackers with me because someone stole mine.

She wore a bohemian style white top with blue patterns around the edges, with jeans and blue flats. Her long, wavy brown hair cascaded down her back loosely. She was beautiful, smart, and funny, and could easily be one of the popular group. But what I admired most about her is that she didn't feel the need to be accepted by everyone else. She stuck with me through thick and thin, and she knew I would always be there for her to lean on too.

"Car troubles," I muttered. "Some guy stole my spot! It was perfect too; shady, in the corner, and right up front! I was about to turn into it when he sped right past me. I could've died!" I ranted.

"Who is this person and where can I hurt him?" she half-joked.

"That's the thing. I think his name was... Callan Barrington... no, Cade Benning... Ugh, what was it? Oh right! It was--"

"Carson Bennett?" She asked, her eyes widening. "Oh no, please tell me you didn't tell him off." When I smiled cheekily she sighed. "You're dead. He can probably have you squished under a boulder if he wants! But he'll have to get past me first."

"He didn't look mad. I don't see what everyone's talking about. He looked like a normal person to me, despite the fact that he stole my perfect spot."

After a moment of consideration, she nodded. "Okay, fair enough. But still, be careful Maya. I don't trust him."

I scoffed. "Well, I never said I did."

As she was about to reply, the teacher walked in. She looked to be in her mid-twenties, with medium length dirty blonde hair and gray eyes. Somehow, she was familiar. "Hi everyone, I'm Ms. Warner. Welcome to AP English Literature." Someone up front raised their hand. "Yes, what's your name?"

"I'm Olivia. Aren't you Brooke Warner's sister?" the girl asked.

The teacher smiled and nodded. "I am. I hear she has quite the reputation." She added a wink and immediately I liked her. Another kid raised his hand. "Yes, in the back?"

"I'm Xander, and isn't your family loaded? Why'd you get a job?"

"Hard work measures true success, not the amount of money you have. I am a strong believer in that. That's why I will make sure you each work hard in this class. If you do not work hard and put at least some effort in, you're guaranteed a low grade here."

The class collectively groaned, and Ms. Warner laughed. I saw lots of the guys around the room staring at her because she was definitely pretty.

"So, this year we will start off with a Shakespearean theme, as we'll take a deeper look into Romeo and Juliet. I'm sure most of you have already read the play, but--"

She was cut off by the door swinging open. A guy walked in, his strides confident. All eyes were glued on him, the girls were practically drooling, and he seemed to know it. He wore a smirk that teased everyone around him, and that seemed awfully familiar...

Carson freaking Bennett.

He shares this class with me.

Every day for the next year.

The only seat available was beside me.

Of course.

"Carson Bennett presume? Thank you for joining us," Ms. Warner said with a small smile, almost amused. "You may take a seat wherever it's available, and it'll be your seat for the rest of the year."

"Yes, ma'am," he said, mock saluting her. I swear I saw her roll her eyes as she turned around. How is she Brooke's sister?

"As I was saying before I was so blatantly interrupted," she said, eyes zoning in on Carson with a pointed look. He just put on an innocent grin. When he noticed me looking, his green eyes lit up in recognition, then sent me a smirk and a flirty wink. I glared at him before I glanced at Amber, and she threw me a look of sympathy before glaring at Carson, who didn't even notice.

"We'll be looking into Romeo and Juliet," Ms. Warner continued. I tuned out what she told us about the rest of the year and lost myself in my thoughts. How could you possibly be the only person with an empty seat available to them? What are the odds of that happening? Oh, I bet it was Karma. Really funny, Universe. I found that ten dollar bill on the ground fair and square!

"So, Maya Martin, was it? How about you answer to the rest of the class?"

I froze. "Uhm, can you repeat the question?"

"Favorite book or author?" she repeated.

I didn't have to think twice. "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle."

"A classic. So you like mystery books then?" she asked. When I nodded, she clapped her hands together. "Okay, class, that's your first assignment. You'll be doing a partner book report on Sherlock Holmes. I will pick your partners," she said before anyone could get their hopes up. "Let's have Lana with Amber, Xander with June, Brody with Olivia, Zane with Gabrielle..." I tuned her out until I heard my name. "And last but not least, Maya with Carson."

I groaned at the fact that we already had a project and looked over at Carson to see he was smirking at me. Does he know how to smile like a regular person?

"Hey, partner," he mocked.

I noticed that half the girls were still staring at him, and some were looking at me as if I killed their kitten. "Oh, how exciting! Are you going to try to run me over this time?" I said with fake enthusiasm.

"Did anyone ever tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor?"

"Did anyone ever tell you that you have no humor?" I shot back.

"So, do you want to work on it after school to get it over with?" he asked, finally looking slightly serious.

"Okay. Your place or mine?"

"Whoa, get in line; I know you want me, but so does everyone else." The smirk on his face was tempting to slap off, but I withheld myself. Barely.

"Sorry, I couldn't hear. Your ego was in the way." Ha. I thought he could be decently serious for thirty seconds.

He chuckled before saying, "Alright, your place at four?"

"Okay, sounds good. Wait, how will you know my address?"

"Give me your number," he suggested with a smirk. I rolled my eyes but did so anyway. He sent me a text so I could save his number, and just in time because the bell rang. I got my things together and left the room quickly.

Somehow, as I walked through the halls to my next class, I couldn't help but think about when Carson would come over. It was going to be interesting, that's the only thing I knew for sure. 

{a/n}

I hope you guys loved this chapter of ACNSBB! Please vote and share, but remember it makes my day when I get to read your comments!

Until the next update...

Mwah! xx

-Seagull