Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

*****

Drake walked back inside and saw Jessica walk out of the room with Mrs. Hamilton right behind her. Drake was unsure of whether or not to tell Black that he was unable to be with Jessica as she spoke, but judging from the reaction of the lady and Jessica, nothing out of the ordinary was said. Drake walked up to Jessica and gently laid his hand on her shoulder. To others, it would appear as if he was helping counsel her. But he and Jessica knew he was warning her.

"I am so glad I got to speak with you," said Mrs. Hamilton as she hugged Jessica again. "Same time next week then?"

"If you don't mind," Jessica said with a smile. Mrs. Hamilton nodded and then turned to Drake.

"You will be more than welcome to attend that session." Drake smiled at her.

"Anything that will help Jessica is what I want," he replied. He escorted Jessica out of the house and into the car. As soon as they were safely inside the car did Drake speak. "What was said?" Drake knew his voice was colder than he had expected, but he wanted to let Jessica know he was not pleased.

"We talked about why I attempted suicide."

"And?"

"And I told her I was depressed with the passing of so many loved ones."

"Smart answer," said Drake as he turned down the street. He glanced over at Jessica. "Are you talking to any of your college friends?"

"I decided not to contact them yet," Jessica replied as she shot him a look. "You are, after all, checking my phone daily. Some conversations are better kept unsaid."

"What could you possibly talk about that I would not be interested in?" Drake scoffed.

"Boys," Jessica answered bluntly and Drake scrunched up his nose at the thought. She had him there.

"You don't want to contact your friends in New Zealand?"

"The last time I had a chat with my friends, one of them was murdered in a hotel room, and the other had his tongue cut out and he ended up at the bottom of a lake. I think I will pass talking to my friends." Drake snickered at this, which landed him another glare from Jessica.

"I can see why you would hesitate," said Drake as he turned down the street leading to Black's house. He glanced over at Jessica and saw her looking out the window with a blank expression. He was about to ask her another question when she spoke up.

"Why did Black really assign you to me?" Drake was silent. Shit, what is she thinking about? This question had Drake nervous.

"Why are you so curious now?" asked Drake. "I would've thought you would ask that last night."

"In front of Black? Don't be stupid," retorted Jessica. "I want to know what he's thinking."

"Sorry, little bunny, but I am not at liberty to reveal information."

"He has something on you?"

"I chose to work with Black," said Drake dangerously. "And the more questions you ask, the more he's going to get pissed."

"Oh good, maybe that perfect little face of his will contort from his usual cocky grin," Jessica growled and even Drake couldn't help but to smile. "You can tell him I was asking all these questions."

"I will report to him what needs to be reported." Jessica looked over at him as they pulled into the driveway. Jessica got out of the car and Drake followed her into the house. He held out his hand as he stood in front of Jessica. She reluctantly handed her phone over to him and he searched through her history. With nothing seeming out of the ordinary, he handed it back to her. "Black said you have free reign of the house. But, he said if you start meddling with things you aren't supposed to, then you'll be thrown back into the basement or I will get to lead the punishment."