Chapter 19- It's Time to Duel

Start from the beginning

"No fraternizing with the enemy, Malfoy."

Tom had removed his wand in a swift effortless motion and had waved it into the perfect symbol of a tongue-tying hex. He'd more or less seen everything and, although it could've blown his cover, he couldn't bear to see them talking. As Malfoy continued to try and say the counter curse with no luck, Tom casually began to guide him back towards the rest of the Slytherins.

"I apologize for his behavior. Congratulations on your win." He would've liked to say she was brilliant and ask her if she had originally planned to use Malfoy's vain nature against him. However, Malfoy's ears still worked just fine, and Tom couldn't risk saying anything else to her. It would've been better to continue the hasty retreat.

"Thank you..."

They stood there in an awkward silence for a brief moment before Tom turned and followed after Malfoy.

                                         ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Enemy? How could you have said that in front of her? Why did you say that, you idiot?! Tom didn't know quite what had come over him in the moment he'd seen Malfoy talking to Frankie. Tom didn't even know what they were talking about, he only knew that he wanted to stop it. But, at the same time, he couldn't put their whole relationship on display. If his fellow Slytherins found out he was the one fraternizing with the enemy, they wouldn't consider him anything more than orphan trash as well. That kind of label would ruin him, even in the wizarding world. Even though he was nearly free of the orphanage, he would never be allowed to become anything more than an orphan.

When Tom returned to continue and watch the matches, Malfoy was eerily quiet. It might've been because of the jinx, but he was also staring intently at him with intrigue. While it was perfectly reasonable for Tom to have come over and stopped him, why had it been him and not Lestrange or Avery? Tom had barely given them a speck of his attention all year. Tom ignored him and tried to focus on who might actually be worth challenging him. He'd easily won his match against Elric Fischer, and he didn't expect Cygnus Barrow to give him much trouble when they squared off next. Frankie's next opponent was Peter, which would be too easy of a win for her. If Tom had calculated it right, after Peter, Lyra would be next. Although, Lyra had yet to fight Quin, Tom couldn't imagine he was as determined to beat her as she was to beat him.

                                        ─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Frankie's gaze soon got caught on Lyra, as well, wondering what spells she might be planning on using. She seemed too elegant and refined for dueling. However, Frankie had also had the misfortune to see her be vicious and unforgiving. Thankfully, Lyra was not paying her any attention for once. Her gaze was locked on Quin. They'd both won their first matches and were now set to fight against one another in the next round. Lyra's eyes bore a heated confidence, daring him to try and block any of her shots. His silent answer was unintelligible, to Frankie at least, but she had a strong feeling there was a mutual sense of rivalry between them.

The rounds continued. It was eventually time for the strangely anticipated duel between Quin and Lyra. Tom and Frankie ended up next to each other in the front, as they left their respectable teams to get a better view. They pretended not to notice this minor detail and just focus on the match. The fight drew on a little longer than most. Lyra was hesitating and using more defensive spells, which wasn't her style. Tom had noticed in her previous fight; she'd been quick and as ruthless as a twelve-year-old girl was allowed to be. Quin had formed a similar tactic of defense. There was a clear reluctance to fight her. Eventually, Lyra managed to hit him with a Full Body-Bind, and he was down for the count. Unlike a lot of the other contestants, she released the jinx herself and, after they announced her victory, helped him back onto his feet again. They shook hands and walked off in opposite directions.