Chapter 19- It's Time to Duel

Start from the beginning

"Okay."

She flashed him her brightest smile as the two decided to join up with the rest of their team. Quin was right. Frankie couldn't just give up on this tournament before it had even started. She had worked hard for this, and she had to win, if not for her friendship with Tom, then for her mother and father. While she was still coming around to the concept that her parents were wizards and had been lying to her for the first six years of her life, she was also attempting to take Tom's advice. Him and Ogg encouraged her to see them in a good light, at least until she knew everything. So, Frankie imagined what they might've said if she wrote to them about the duel. They would've wanted her to give it her all. She was certain of that.

It was finally time to start. The crowd cheered jubilantly as the duelers participating drew their attention towards the teachers. Professor Merrythought diligently read out the rules and explained how the tournament would operate. First to disarm or incapacitate their opponent would win the match. There was exactly 8 people per house competing, however, since they weren't very skilled the matches probably wouldn't last more than a few seconds in most cases. They started calling names and one-by-one the students stepped forward for their match.

Frankie took the opportunity to check out the rest of the Slytherin team before any were called. Apart from Peter, the rest of the Slytherin team looked to be a rather intimidating bunch. This was the first time Frankie had gotten a good look at the boys out of class. Tom's roommates may have been a bit pompous in appearance, but they managed to look more at home on the battlefield than she was. None of them had an air of nervousness to them. She got so distracted watching them that she hadn't even heard Professor Dumbledore call her name for her own match.

Frankie's first duel was against Abraxas Malfoy. It didn't take too long to get the better of him. Although, he had successfully managed to hit her with the Jelly-Legs Jinx, Rodger had taught her the counter curse and she was able to counteract with the Curse of Bogies once her legs had stopped wobbling. He was too self-conscious about people seeing his abhorrently runny nose to continue the fight. She was named the winner and gained a modest amount of applause from the stands for her victory. Meanwhile, Rodger and Ogg went full out Quidditch match and were cheering as loudly as if she were soaring seven-hundred feet up in the air.

"Congratulations on your win." Malfoy added, with an exuberant tone that didn't quite suit his sense of refinement. They were stepping down off the platform and the next match was setting up. Professor Merrythought had stopped his runny nose, but he still should've been sulking over with the rest of his teammates who were out of the running. If she'd been any other adversary, he would've given her an aggressively firm handshake to "congratulate" her on the win and swear vengeance in their next battle. However, he was taking the loss of the match well. He ended this insincere flattery by kissing the back of her free hand. Frankie sputtered nervously at the forward gesture. If they'd still been dueling, she would've been the one to forfeit out of embarrassment. "It would seem you are more impressive then I first thought."

"—Um, I don't believe we've had the pleasure of ever speaking." Frankie stated, quickly recovering from her speechless repeal. She managed to swipe her hand away from him. Although, she knew Malfoy from her classes, this was the first time he had ever really acknowledged her existence. It was amazing to think that a whole school year had gone by, and she'd never talked to a group of people who sat less than six feet away from her every day.

"I'm Abraxas Malfoy, but you probably already knew that. It's a pleasure to finally get the opportunity to speak with you. I've been interested in you for a while now." he replied, with a smile that could've been charming with particular lighting. Malfoy was prepared to ask her a bold question. A question that generally people only asked when they are well-acquainted and older. But, then his tongue curled violently and all that came out was a desperate sputter.