Chapter 13- October Showers Bring Skeleton Flowers

Start from the beginning

"You're probably right..." Frankie replied, sounding a little unsure. It was like Rodger to tease her about her height and the fact she didn't know simple things around here, but it was unlike him to play pranks like this. Also, he hadn't been anywhere near the incidents. Fifth year classes were generally on the other side of the castle.

Who could be doing all this?

Frankie put down her toast and got up again. She had lost most of her appetite by this point. She abruptly decided to go to Potions earlier and perhaps see if Tom was there. He usually didn't enjoying having breakfast and went to class early instead. She was halfway to the classroom when she heard the sudden clacking of footsteps behind her. She turned to find Quin, looking extremely out-of-breath. He'd obviously run after her, "Good morning! Off to Potions as well?"

"Yes. I was hoping you might help me with the Cure for Boils. I think I've been adding too much Horned Slug." Quin replied, trying to sound casual, as he was rolling his sleeves back up to how they usually were.

"Of course!" Frankie exclaimed. They were about to start walking together when they heard another storm of running on the stone floor. Lyra took one gasp and held the rest of her exhaustion in, like the composed lady in waiting she was supposed to be.

"Frankie! You'd said we'd walk together this morning."

"Did I?—I'm sorry. I must've completely forgot."

"Oh. It's you." Quin looked surprised to see her. They'd been in class together for nearly two months now, yet he looked as if he were seeing her for the very first time. Lyra stumbled to come up with a clever retort, so Frankie decided to answer for her.

"What's the matter, Quin?" she asked. She didn't want to have to defend Lyra from him too. She thought it was just the Gryffindor vs. Slytherin rivalry rearing its ugly head once again, but it wasn't. Not this time.

"Nothing..." he mumbled. He quickly changed the subject, before Frankie inevitably asked for more information. "Are you two going to the Test of Courage tonight?"

"Daphne and the other girls mentioned that the other day. However, I'm not sure if I'm attending." she answered.

"But, you have to go. It's an old school tradition." Lyra argued. Quin nodded in approval.

"What if we get caught by Pringle?" Frankie gulped. Apollyon Pringle was the grumpy caretaker of the castle, in charge of making sure that everything was clean and tidy. He also patrolled the corridors at night to make sure that no students were wandering in the late hours. Punishment was known to be severe if you were to get caught. Even more severe than Mrs. Cole's punishments. "We could get caned if we aren't careful."

"We won't. It'll be so late that he'll have already clocked off patrol and gone to bed."

"And what about the professors?"

"They know it's sort of an unofficial tradition and won't get involved. They probably did it too when they were our age." Quin insisted. They entered the hazy dungeon and after giving a small wave to Professor Slughorn they headed for their table. Tom was already sitting there reading the book without interest, not acknowledging their presence with so much as a glance. However, an eyebrow raised when he realized that they were not two, but three this morning.

"Fine, but if we get caught I'm going to blame you." she groaned, pointing at him accusingly.

"I'll take your lashings. I swear on it." he laughed. She laughed and smiled along with him, but the worried soul in her didn't want it to have to come to that. She was definitely more used to physical punishment then he was. Mrs. Cole is a big supporter of any kind of lashing, except when it means 'copious amounts of food'. "We aren't going to get caught. Don't worry."