Chapter 1

Welcome to West Virginia

That's what the sign says as Theo drives past it. He smiles a small smile as he reads it. This is it, he's here. He can finally do some research and asking around for his novel he is working on. A novel by the name Mothman.

As a child Theo would do countless hours of studying this mysterious creature. He would draw pictures of it. He would talk nonstop about the Mothman. He became obsessed with the being. So as an adult with little to no money to his name he is taking a shot at one of the hardest careers out there… Becoming a successful author.

A gas station emerges from the right. Looking at the gas tank and seeing it's almost empty he takes a turn and pulls next to a gas pump. He steps out of his car and proceeds to pull out his credit card. He takes his card a swipes it.

“Error… Card Declined” The gas pump reads to him.

“What the…” He swipes it again after wiping it off, but comes to the same conclusion.

“Ugh. Stupid machine.” He kicks the gas pump and pulls out his wallet. “Looks like I will have to pay in cash inside.” He says to himself as he takes twenty bucks from his wallet and goes inside the station.

The bell on the door rings as he swings it open. Immediately the man at the register scans over him. After deciding he's not a threat he goes back at looking at his phone.

Theo walks up to the register and the man looks at him while putting his phone up. “Hello.” The employe says unenthusiastically. “ How can I help you?”

“Yeah. I need twenty bucks of gas in the black car at pump one.” He hands him the money and he turns the pump on.

“So. I don't recognize you. What brings you to West Virginia?”

“Oh me? Nothing much. I came up here to do some research on a mystery novel am working on.”

Theo see a spark in his eyes. He can tell he's interested in what's being said. “What's it about?”

“Oh.” Theo always feels a little silly telling people about the purpose of his novel “It's about the Mothman.”

Suddenly he watch as every spark of interest leaves the worker's body. “Oh… Don't waste your time man. It's a hoax.”  And with that he hands Theo his receipt. Theo let's out a sigh of disappointment and walks out the door. He made a promise a long time ago to stop listening to people who try and bring him down. He felt Mothman was real and he was going to prove it.

As he was pumping gas a dirty man comes up to him. “Excuse me sir…” The man says.

“Yes?” Theo was hoping he wouldn't ask for money, because he has none to give to the guy.

The homeless man looks from side to side to be sure no one was going to over hear what he has to say. “I heard you was talking about the Mothman back in the store.”

“Yes I was…”

“Well I have something you may want to hear.”

“Go on, please continue.”

“Well… what do you have to offer?” He asks.

“Well I don't have much with me. What do you want?”

The man peers through the window of the black car. “How about that blanket in the back. It gets awful cool out here at night,”

“Sure.” Theo agrees and reaches in the back to retrieve the blanket. He gets it and gives it to the person. “So what can you tell me?”