Chapter 5

"Oh my gosh, he's just so cute!" Ashley squealed.

"Jeez Ash, calm down. He's just a boy." I said, rolled my eyes and laughed.

Ashley and I were sitting at the school's fountain. We decided to get there early so we could talk about our first unofficial day at school and our classmates. Ashley apparently, found another new crush. Again. And now she was daydreaming about him basically.

"Oh come on! Haven't you ever been in love?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

"Nope. And I really don't care either way." I answered.

"What's wrong with you? Obviously, everyone in the world needs some love. And you, obviously need to find yourself a boyfriend during high school." She said.

"I don't need anyone from around here. Also, high school romances never last."

"Mostly. They mostly never last." She corrected.

"But sometimes they do. Maybe you should just give it a shot." She said, trying to convince me.

"No thanks." I declined, making her sigh of disappointment.

"Fine. I'll keep an eye out for any cute boys for you if you change your mind." She stated, making us both burst into laughter.

"Hey, I've been gushing on and on about cute boys in our class for this whole time and you still didn't get the chance to say anything about your first day." She suddenly realised.

"It's fine."

"No no, it's not. Come on, tell me, who's in your class? I know Lily and Adam are, but I don't know anyone else." She said.

I thought a little deeply about it, trying to remember other people besides the ones I already knew from before or got to know yesterday, but to no avail.

"Well...you know Zoe, right?" I asked.

"Zoe...Peck?" She asked and I nodded.

"Hmm...then there's Hannah River, Ellie Staurt and...that's everyone I remember so far." I listed.

"What, you forgot your classmates already?" Ashley joked.

"Maybe." I said, making her snicker.

I noticed more students were entering the school grounds, so I pulled out my phone and checked out the time.

"The bell's gonna go off soon." I informed, looking over at Ashley.

She sighed dramatically, making me snort.

"Hey, can I see your schedule?" I asked.

"Sure."

She opened her bag and rummaged through it for a few seconds, before pulling out a white sheet of paper and handing it to me.

I scanned through it and pointed at a certain day and spot.

"Hey, we have P.E. together on Wednesdays." I announced.

"What? Cool!" She said, grabbing the schedule out of my hands and examining it herself.

The school bell rang, making us both stand up quickly. Just like in primary school, we weren't going to slack off, and attend every class early or on time.

"I have English." She said.

"I know, I saw. I have math, so we'll split inside." I said.

"Mkay, let's go~" She sang, making us both chuckle as we ran towards the North building.

<···>

I entered the classroom and found Hannah, Ellie and some other blond guy from my class. As I approached Ellie's table, I saw that she was coloring something.

"Hey." I greeted her.

"Hey."

I didn't really want to interrupt her right away by talking, so I just decided to watch what she drew so far first.

She drew what looked like to be the face of a teen boy. He had a black cap on and his hair was covering half of his face. She was coloring his hair with many different shades of brown, and even if that was the only part colored, the drawing looked amazing nonetheless.

"Who's that?" I asked, morioning towards the drawing

She looked my way and shrugged.

"I don't really know, just someone random." She replied, turning back towards the drawing.

"Well, either way, it looks amazing." I said.

"There's a lot of people somewhere out there who draw better than me." She shrugged.

I stayed silent for a bit. I didn't know how to counter her words. Sure, she was right, but how could she not to see that she's amazing at it in her own way?

"So, what are you good at?" Ellie asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, well I'm trying to become better at art." I answered, attepmting to dodge the question.

"I didn't ask about that, I asked for what you're good at." She said, narrowing her eyes slightly in suspicion.

I stared at her. I was thinking over if I should tell her, but she would probably question me if I mentioned I hated my talent.

But, I wanted to become friends with her so she could help me imptove in art, so I reluctantly told her.

"I'm good at music." I simply said.

"How good?"

"Pretty good." I unconsciously replied, mentally slapping myself for it.

"Hmm, prove it."

"What?" -I quickly asked, tilting my head.

"Prove it. Sing me something." She continued, mimicking me as she tilted her head too.

I frowned slightly and she chukled, turning back to her drawing.

"It's okay, you don't have to. I do believe you, I was just curious how you sounded." She said.

She started coloring again, and I felt a little uneasy about the situation at hand.

I hadn't sung in a very long time. The last time I sang was at my father's funeral, for a reason of course.

Singing now would be going against my own self, and that reason.

But if I wouldn't sing, it would look like I totally lied to Ellie.

She didn't look like she particularly believed I was lying, but she did look a little sceptical and unconvinced.

I sighed and leaned back against the chair as my mind tried to figure out the right course of action I should take.

I pondered over it for a little bit, but my mind always went to the conclusion 'no'.

I sighed again and dropped the subject from my mind, going back to watching Ellie color. I couldn't sing now. It would be meaningless.