Chapter 1

It's huge.

That was my first thought as the building I was headed to came into view. I had seen it countless of times before, but today was different. I wasn't just going to be walking past the infamous "Walker High", located in my village Whitewall. I was going to be attending it, as a student. I've visited Walker High a few times before on different occasions, and I already knew the layout of it.

That made it easier to realize where I should've been heading, instead of running around lost like most of the freshmen students. A small smile crossed my face as I saw two girls running from one side of the school to another, probably confused about where to go. I noticed I was catching more attention than I would've liked, and I knew exactly why.

It's not everyday you see someone with their hair dyed completely in purple around here, but was it really something to make you stop in your tracks and stare at? Fortunately, that didn't really bother me much. I've dyed my hair because it makes my jade green eyes stand out a little more, by my opinion at least.

I looked up at the North building as I was about to enter it. A frown settled upon my face as I realized I haven't spotted anyone familiar yet. I knew some of my primary school classmates would be attending here too, so where were they? As I made my way to the auditorium, I made sure to look for someone I knew, but no luck.

Until I walked in.

I saw a spec of familiar long dirty blond hair, and that's how I knew she was here. I spotted my friend, Ashley, sitting and talking with some other girl in the second last row of chairs that were set up for students. Ashley saw me when I came up to them and greeted me.

"Hey Jade!" Ashley chirped.

"Hey Ash. What's up?" I asked as I sat down.

Ashley was one of few people I enjoyed talking to, so I stayed friends with her.

"Just talking to Lily. She's my cousin." She said.

"Hi, I'm Jade." I said, looking over at Lily and offering her a hand.

"Hi. Nice to meet you." She replied, shaking my hand.

"Likewise." -I said.

Ashley had so many cousins, I had trouble remembering them. But I was sure I would remember Lily, since she was my age. And she had ginger hair, which wasn't something you see often around here.

"So Jade, are you excited to find out what class you're in?" -She asked, switching her gaze to the stage in front of us.

"Not really. What if I get Adam or Gabe as classmates?" I complained.

"Yeah true." She agreed and sighed.

Adam and Gabe also used to be our classmates. Adam was one of the biggest douche bags around while Gabe is the kid who likes to gross and piss people off.

"Or, probably even worse, one of the bitches." I asked, irritation evident in my voice.

"Okay, first, don't say that word, and second, hopefully we both won't have to deal with them." -She said.

The bitches were your typical popular high school girls. Except they hit that level in elementary school. You know, they wear short and tight clothes, dump their faces into a bowl of makeup every day and sharpen their tongue on a daily basis.

"Yeah. Hey, what if we don't end up in the same class?" I wondered out loud.

"Sush child! You just jinxed us!" She said, making me roll my eyes.

We kept chatting for a little bit more until we heard a microphone go off. All chatter around the room quieted as everyone's attention turned to the stage. A lady, who was probably in her forty's, stepped onto the stage and in front of the microphone.

"Hello new students, and welcome to Walker High! My name is Amanda Clark and I'm the school's headmaster." -She said.

"Now, before you are divided into classes, I would like to introduce the teachers who are going to be in charge of each class."

She gestured towards four women standing nearby and they walked onto the stage, some with smiles set on their faces. As she began listing off their names, they each stepped forward.

"Victoria July. She teaches Math."

She looked really strict and she did not look happy. I wondered why. Was it because she hated students? Or because she was picked as a head teacher?

"Natalie Miller, Geography."

I strained my eyes a bit as I recognized her as one of my mom's acquaintances, since my mother used to work as a teacher. Plus, I knew her daughter.

"Sydney Watson, Art."

My ears perked up at her name. She also works at my primary school, and she's my mother's ex-colleague and best friend. She's also my favorite teacher, because of her easy going and likable personality. Safe to say, a lot of other people like her for that too.

"And lastly, Caroline Brown, English."

"I hope she's not my head teacher." Ashley muttered.

"Why not?" I quietly asked.

"I've heard about her. Apparently, she's a pretty bad teacher."

"Bad in which way?" I asked curiously.

"Bad in every way." She said, making us both snicker.

"Okay students, let's see who your new classmates are for the next four years, shall we?" The headmaster asked.

We heard groans from around the auditorium, but she didn't seem fazed. I guess this happened every year with new students. And as she began reading off the names, I stopped paying attention, since I was bored. But I snapped back to paying attention as soon as I heard my name being called.

"Jade Harper, class B."

"Aw man." Ashley whined.

"What? What's up?" I asked, confused.

"We're in separate classes. I guess this is goodbye~" She jokingly sang the last part.

"Shut up. We'll still have lunch together everyday, right?" I asked.

"Duh." -She said, rolling her eyes.

"Also, which class are you in?"

"Class A." She quietly whispered, and we went back to listening for any familiar names.

"Lily Edwards, class B."

"Damn it, why is everyone leaving me?" Ashley huffed, making me chuckle.

A few more unfamiliar names came out of her mouth, before she spoke another very familiar name.

"Adam Palmer, class B."

"Crap." I muttered, my tone evident of my irritation.

"Gabe Nelson, class A."

"What?!" Ashley whisper-yelled.

We sighed simultaneously and leaned back into our seats.

"Well, you know what they say: In life, you can never get rid of all assholes." I joked.

"Language!" She quietly hissed.

I chuckled and held out my tongue. She rolled her eyes and looked back at the headmaster reading off names. I followed her example, except I didn't bother to actually listen.