Chapter 3

Not long after our conversation, the teacher and some more students came inside. The teacher was Mrs.Miller, and she took a seat at her desk and formally introduced herself as our class' head teacher. Then she talked to us about the school, past incidents and asking us not to repeat those past incidents, making the whole class laugh.

One of the incidents was about how a student wanted to do a simple prank, but he somehow ended up flooding an entire teacher's bathroom. Another one was about how a student once let in stray dogs inside the North building. And a few others, which were either pretty innocent or down to smashed-window level.

She went on to say that everyone was going to individually state their names and say something interesting about themselves.

"Alright, let's start from...you." She said, pointing at Adam, who was sitting in the first row.

He stood up and put on a smirk so wide I wished I could've pummel his face in right then and there.

"My name's Adam Palmer, and I'm good at everything." He said proudly.

"Except horse riding." I commented.

Adam grit his teeth and scowled at me, and both Zoe and I let out a chuckle. Everyone else in the classroom didn't understand what I meant, but a few of them snickered anyway.

"Alright Adam, sit down. Moving on." Mrs.Miller said.

Adam sat down, and quickly turned to to send a glare my way, while I returned it with a sweet innocent smile.

<···>

The introduction went on like that for a while. We got a few laughs, and I only managed to remember the names of a few people. The teacher mentioned that our class was the smallest one out of our generation too. While listening to Ellie's introduction, I kind of dwelled upon a little more about the words she spoke.

"I'm Ellie Stuart, and I draw for fun, I guess."

From our earlier conversation and from what she said in the introduction part, she really didn't seem to appreciate her talent. It kind of made me wonder why. Was there a specific reason for it, or was she just really oblivious to it? I felt a nudge on my shoulder, and I turned to find Ellie looming at me with curious eyes.

"What did you mean with your earlier comment when Adam first introduced himself?" She asked.

I stared at her wordlessly, confused for just a few seconds, before realizing what she was talking about.
I quickly regained my composure and mustered up a response.

"Ah, that. Well, every field trip we went on that had horse riding included, Adam always somehow fell off the horse. Most of the times, the horses kicked Adam off of them." -I explained, recalling the earlier events and letting out a chuckle.

"Every time Adam gets on a 'high horse', or starts bragging, we mention this. And that's enough to make him fall off his high horse. Literally." I added.

Ellie laughed and I smiled, finding the sound of her laugh oddly nice. A sudden ring of the school's bell made me flinch slightly, almost making me jump out of my chair.

"Alright students, you're free to go home. But first come here and claim your schedule." Mrs.Miller said, gesturing to the papers located on her desk.

Everyone stood up and walked over to her desk to grab a schedule. I took my time, deciding not to wrestle my way through the rest of them just for a piece of paper. As quickly as they came, they were out the door. Only a few of my fellow classmates stayed behind to talk to Mrs.Miller. I picked up my own schedule and exited the classroom. I was halfway down the stairs when I heard my name being called.

"Jade!"

I stopped and turned around, spotting Ellie heading towards me with a small smile.

"Hey. Need something?" I asked casually when she caught up to me.

"Not really, just wondering if you wanted to chat some more." She said.

"Sure, I've got nothing better to do at home anyway." I replied and shrugged.

<···>

We were seated at the fountain in front of the school and talked casually, discussing lives and such.

"So, you're not from Whitewall, are you?" I eventually asked.

I'm pretty sure I would've known her if she was from here. Since it's a small village, everyone knows each other.

"Nope, I'm from Corlake." She confirmed.

"Corlake, huh? That's like...about 10 kilometers from here?" I pondered.

"Yeah, pretty much. Have you ever been there?" She asked.

"A few times, yeah. Mostly because I participated in English grammar competitions." I said.

"Ah, that's where I know you from! I knew I recognized you." She spoke while she face palmed, making me snort.

"I was asked to set the tables a few times for those occasions. I once stayed and waited for a friend who was also competing, and I saw you there too." She explained.

"I guess it was destiny." I joked.

"Ah, indeed." She replied, throwing an arm around my shoulders enthusiastically.

That took me by surprise, but I didn't want to seem awkward and pull away, so I just stayed in place and threw an arm around her as well, acting like I wasn't fazed at all. She pulled out a small Nokia phone to check the time.

"My mom will be here soon to pick me up." She mumbled, placing the phone back into her pocket.

"How come you use such an outdated phone?" I asked, curiosity laced in my tone.

She retreated her arm from my shoulders while I did too, and raised her eyebrows.

"Because I don't want to become a phone addict and get distracted from school, making my grades drop." She informed.

"Good point." I muttered, making her chuckle.

"I wouldn't mind a fancy touch screen phone, although it would be pretty much the same thing as my current phone. It can call and text and that's all I really need in a phone."

"But you can't access the internet. What if you needed to access the web for a moment?" I asked.

"It could wait after school once I'm home."

"What if it couldn't?"

"It could."

I rolled my eyes and started laughing, and she chuckled.