Chapter 11

Chapter Eleven

The morning of John and Margaret's wedding dawned bright and clear.  Neither bride nor groom had gotten much sleep the night before, and not just because of their tryst.  They were both so anxious and excited that the day was finally here that sleep was elusive.  After saying goodnight the second time, and Margaret returned to her room, they lay in their beds, eyes wide open, smiling like fools, thinking of their dearest desire coming to fruition.

When they couldn't stand it any more, he got up, she rang for Dixon, and they started preparing for the day's events.  Higgins and Fanny's husband came to help John, and Edith, Aunt Shaw, and Fanny were present to help Margaret.  Mrs. Thornton had some light breakfast sent up, but both were too nervous to touch it.  She went to see John before joining the other women in Margaret's room.  Smiling up at him, she brought her hand to his face, and he beamed down at her.

"Here we are, the day of your wedding...the day I officially become second in your life."  At his look of concern, she smiled and continued.  "No, John, that is the way it should be.  You will have a wife, whom you love and whom loves you.  You will live for each other.  I do not pity myself, nor do I ask for your pity.  I just want you to know that I love you and I am so proud of what you've become."  Both smiling through the tears in their eyes, they hugged.

"Thank you, Mother.  Today I finally get my heart's desire, that I have wanted since almost the first moment I saw her, among the cotton fluff floating around in my mill.  I never thought she would think me good enough for her, yet here we are."

"Aye, it was a rough road for you two, but you have made it here.  You will have more rough patches, but if you work together you will overcome them.  The smooth parts are worth it. "  She placed the yellow rose she had brought into his suit jacked buttonhole, and kissed him on the cheek.  He hesitated, then asked her the question that had been on his mind since he had shared his father's story with Margaret.

"Did you and Father love each other?"  She looked pained for a moment, then took a deep breath.

"Aye, we did.  It took him a long time to get me to come round, but I did.  I thought him foolish at first, the way he wore his heart on his sleeve.  But I came to realize that his enthusiasm was not necessarily a bad thing.  I loved how he could walk into a room and transform it with his smile.  He and I complimented each other -- my calmness and his exuberance.  I wish he could have faced the consequences -- we would have faced them together.  But it was too much for him."  She looked up at John and saw the sadness in his eyes.

"Come, now, this is supposed to be a happy day for you.  Let us not think on that any more.  I can see your father in you -- not as much as Fanny, but you have his passion.  I thank God every day that you also have my staid nature to balance it out.  You feel deeply, but you also have a good head on your shoulders.  I will go to Margaret now.  Try to eat, even if just a little bit.  I know it's an exciting time, but you will need your strength."

"I will try, Mother."  They smiled again, and she left to see how Margaret was coming along.  She found the ladies fussing over Margaret's hair, and Margaret attempting to sit still, with little success.  When Margaret looked up and saw Mrs. Thornton, she smiled nervously.

"I am surprised that I feel so nervous, Mother.  I already feel wed in my heart -- this is just a public affirmation."  The two women smiled at each other, and then Mrs. Thornton held out a pair of earrings.

"I thought these would go well with your dress."  Margaret smiled and took them, putting them in her ears.

"Thank, you Mother.  They are beautiful!  How is John doing?"