Chapter 27

Chapter Twenty-seven

After a refreshing siesta, the two couples set out for the beach, which was just two blocks from Frederick's house. Margaret and John enjoyed wading in the ocean, something it was too cold to do in England. Frederick found Dolores a chair in the shade so she could relax, and when the other couple grew tired of the waves they joined them.

"I can see why you enjoy it here so much, Fred!" Margaret enthused. "What a difference from the beaches at home!" John agreed, having enjoyed playing in the water and sand as if he was a child.

"I almost forgot I was an adult!" Margaret gave him a tender smile, having enjoyed watching John play. When he was usually so serious, it was nice to see him let loose once in a while. They stayed to watch the sun set over the water, and then returned home for dinner.

Dolores retired not long after the meal was finished, and John realized he was tired, too. Margaret asked if he minded her staying up to catch up with Frederick, and he said no with a smile. Bending down to give her a kiss, he whispered in her ear.

"As long as you wake me up when you come to bed, dearest." Her eyes gleaming, she heartily promised.

Once they were alone, Margaret and Frederick just looked at each other for a while, happy to be together again, even if just for a short time, without having to worry about Frederick's safety. They talked about their lives, trying to catch up on everything they hadn't been able to talk about when he was in England.

"Now, dear sister," Frederick said at one point, "you must tell me all the details about you and John. I can see you love each other deeply, but when I was with you nothing seemed to be going on between you two. What's your story?" Margaret blushed, her eyes downcast, and then looked her brother in the eye, and told him their long tale.

"I was stupid, Fred. That's the long and the short of it. I didn't realize how I felt about him, and when he proposed to me I threw it back in his face. He thought you were a rival for my affections, and yet he still helped us when I lied about you. He loved me through it all, even though he claimed not to, and I did nothing to deserve it. When I realized that I loved him, I thought it was too late. And when he had to close his Mill, I couldn't bear the thought of not being connected to him in any way, so I went to offer him a loan to keep the Mill open. He proposed again, and this time I accepted. I thank God every day that I got a second chance."

Frederick nodded his understanding. He was glad she had someone, now that their parents were dead. He had been worried when she wrote to him about their father's passing, and Mr. Bell's departure for South America. Their Aunt Shaw and Cousin Edith were family, but he had gotten the suspicion from the letters she wrote when she was there that she would rather have been somewhere else. When she had written of her engagement, he knew why.

"He is obviously a good man, and I'm glad you have him. I was sorry I couldn't be there for you when Father died. It must have been so hard for you."

"It was, Fred. Aunt Shaw just kept talking about how she needed to get me out of that God-forsaken place and back to London. And I just wanted to run to John, but I thought he would turn me away. So I went to London until I heard that John was losing the Mill. Then I went back to Milton to make him a business proposal." He smiled at her.

"And he made a different proposal altogether." Noticing her blush, he gave her a quizzical look.

"After the first disastrous proposal, the second one did not exactly have...words," she admitted, her face red. After a moment, his face showed his understanding, and he grinned.

"So my little sister behaved in a less than proper manner?" he teased.

"I did, and I liked it. We got caught up in the moment, and before I knew it he was kissing me. That was when I knew I was not getting back on the train with Henry...I was going home with John."