Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Margaret held John's arm as they strolled toward the mill. With only her satchel to carry, and the desire to make this precious time they had alone last as long as possible, they decided to walk rather than take a carriage. After sitting all day, they agreed that some exercise would be beneficial, although they both knew that wasn't the real reason behind the decision.

Margaret was still nervous about seeing Mrs. Thornton again, especially so soon after their last meeting. They both knew that once they got to the mill, their bubble of contentment would burst again, and reality would set in. As they walked, they contemplated their next steps. They both looked at their surroundings with new eyes - the eyes of those who love, and are loved in return.

Most of the people they saw were rushing about their own business, but most of them took a moment to stop and gape at the Master of Marlborough Mills walking arm in arm with Miss Hale. They were doubly shocked - first to see the smile shining on his face and his lack of cravat, and second to see Miss Hale, who had left Milton some months ago, after her father died. Not long after, tongues started wagging as everyone expressed their opinions on the subject.

The two lovers were insensible of any gossip about them. They would have remained in such a state were it not for a familiar voice calling them.

"Master! Miss 'Ale!" They looked toward the voice and both smiled eagerly to see Nicholas Higgins striding toward them. Then they directed a smile at each other. Higgins was a good friend to both, and besides John's mother, the first person they wished to know their good news.

"Higgins! We are glad to see you!" John stuck out his hand and Higgins shook it heartily.

"Am I ever surprised to see the two of you on the street together!" Higgins responded with a twinkle in his eye that did not go unnoticed by the other two.

"You don't look too surprised. Will it surprise you to hear that we are to be wed?" John chuckled at the delight on his friend's face.

"Well, then, I congratulate th' both of ye!" Higgins shook Margaret's hand too, his heart bursting with pride at the role he had played in bringing them together.

"Thank you, Higgins, for showing me the error of my ways. Your bit of news made this possible." John smiled at Higgins, and then gave a tender smile to his betrothed, who returned it with one of her own.

"One more thing before you go, Higgins. How soon can you get that list of men back to the mill?" Now Higgins had a look of genuine surprise on his face.

"I can 'ave 'em ready tomorrow mornin', Master!"

"Great, do that. We will resume operations tomorrow. I have secured the necessary funds to open the mill back up." This time the smile John gave Margaret was one of gratitude. She responded with a look of pure love and adoration. Higgins looked from one face to the other in puzzlement. It appeared Miss Hale was involved...but how?

"We can resume working on the orders we haven't finished, and I'm sure more will come in by the time they are done."

"That's great news, Master! I'll start roundin' everyone up straight away!" And Higgins was off to do just that.

John and Margaret continued on their slow course to the mill, but not quite as slow as before. They were getting anxious to move behind closed doors where they could bestow kisses on each other without breaking conventions. Her arm in his was the extent of contact between two people not generally understood to be engaged. Even once their engagement became common knowledge they would still have to be constrained in their actions.

Before they knew it, they stood in front of the mill gates. Giving Margaret a gentle squeeze and a tender kiss for strength, John opened the gate and ushered her in. They crossed the courtyard, looking up at the window they imagined his mother to be watching from, and saw the flash of movement.