Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-three

Margaret did give John a delightful birthday present, which left him breathless and smiling, after which they fell asleep in each other's arms. Not that falling asleep that way was different than any other night. He woke her tenderly before the dawn's light had progressed beyond a washed out grey, kissing along her jaw and encouraging an encore of the last evening's activities. Their hands caressed softly, their lips kissed lightly, and their bodies joined sweetly. Soft sighs punctuated the silence, followed by increasingly passionate moans as they reached their peaks.

He kissed her tenderly before getting out of bed to get ready for his day. She dozed, but woke when he bent down to kiss her again, her eyes widening with delight. He hesitated, not sure whether to be concerned, but she answered his unasked question by pulling his hand to her stomach and holding it there.

"I felt our baby move," she whispered, her voice filled with awe. "It was just a little flutter, and you probably won't be able to feel it, but just in case..." her voice trailed off. He smiled and kept his hand on her stomach for a a few moments, but there was no repeat movement. He tried to hide his disappointment and kissed her forehead reverently.

"I shall feel the baby's movements eventually -- he or she cannot hide from me forever!" he declared, and she smiled back at him.

"Soon enough, you shall, my love." She moved across the bed so she was sitting on the edge, and he sat next to her. She started straightening his cravat, a habit that always made his heart swell in his chest. His mother had relinquished the habit to Margaret, which she took up happily. It was such an intimate moment, her hands at his neck, their faces so close. He gazed tenderly down at her, remembering the bench at the train station, where they had sat in much the same positions.

His hand raised to her jaw the way it had then, and her hands stilled as she raised her eyes to his, and they drank each other in. Their faces came together, lips touching softly, and they shared a few sweet kisses. He rested his forehead against hers, reveling anew in her presence. He ran his fingers down her neck, across her shoulder, and over her back, and she shuddered, letting out a low moan.

"If I don't leave now, I can't say where this will go," he said in a low voice, his fingers moving around to tease a nipple to a hard peak. Margaret clutched his shoulders and moaned again.

"I just got your cravat straight. It would be a shame to have to straighten it again..." she managed, just before his mouth found her other nipple. "I fear I am at a disadvantage," she continued, alluding to her unclothed state.

"On the contrary, it is I that you have at a disadvantage, my dear," he responded huskily. "You are so tempting sitting here with your hair so charmingly touseled from our recent activities." He resumed his attentions, to her delight. Somehow she moved so she was straddling him, and his hand made its way down to her most intimate parts. His other hand came around her back, and he held her there as he explored the slick evidence of her desire. She rocked her hips against his hand as her pleasure increased.

His mouth found her neck, and he kissed her there, adding to the sensations building inside her. He loved knowing that only he could make her feel this way, and act this way. No other man would ever have this privilege, and it humbled him that he was her choice. She reached her peak, her fingers clutching him and her moans crescendoing in his ears. Her mouth found his for a wild kiss as she bucked against him, her breathing ragged.

She slowly relaxed against him, leaning her head on his chest as she caught her breath. After a few moments, her hands made their way to the nape of his neck, caressing the skin.

"You, sir, are not playing fair." She lifted her head and looked at him, pretending to pout, but he could see the glimmer of amusement in her eyes.