Chapter 32

The doctor did indeed tell Margaret to slow down and rest, and after Mrs. Thornton's advice earlier that morning, Margaret was ready to comply. The baby had dropped, so Margaret was told to expect labor to begin within the next week or two. She felt so ponderous, and yet overjoyed that she and John were going to meet their son, or daughter, soon. She spent her days in the sitting room, knitting and making conversation with Mrs. Thornton when the older woman had some time to spend with her. Margaret knew that her mother-in-law was relegating more of the housework in order to be with her more, and she appreciated the thought.

One unusually sunny day brought a letter from Frederick. He wrote of his new daughter, whom they had named Carmen. It meant song in Spanish, he explained. She was the most beautiful baby that had ever lived, according to her proud Papa, and her mother the bravest of women. Margaret smiled as she read about her niece, but her smile wavered as she read of the difficulty of the labor. Dolores had survived, but had been greatly weakened by the duration.

As she penned a congratulatory letter in return, Margaret tried to keep her thoughts from lingering on the very real threat that labor posed to women - the very real threat it posed to her. She had always had a strong constitution; had never really been ill. The doctor had told her that it was a good sign, but that each labor was unique, and nothing could really prepare her, or him, for what might happen. She kept herself from brooding about it because she knew that John would worry more than he already was.

She had seen the concerned way he looked at her when he thought she wasn't looking, and her desire to comfort him made her ache. So she smiled even more at him, and loved him more tenderly than she had thought possible. Her soft whispers filled his ears while she was awake, and her arms held him while they slept. She had discovered that her maternal instincts increased with each passing day, making her ever more determined that he should not worry.

John did worry, more than she knew. He kept his mind as busy as possible, which was not terribly difficult during his long work day. The Mills kept him busy, although if he was honest with himself he was taking work away from Higgins. The other man didn't seem overly upset; in fact, he seemed to be happy to have a little extra free time. John had asked him where he went once or twice, causing Higgins to get a little red in the face and stammer something about his private time. John smiled to himself at the thought that Higgins might have found a lady to admire.

He mentioned it one night to Margaret, and she smiled too. They spent a few minutes musing about who the lady might be, and suddenly Margaret gasped with delight. At John's questioning look, she explained that Dixon seemed to be in a similar situation, and was just as evasive about it as Higgins. They took a moment to think about Higgins and Dixon together, and smiled with approval at each other. They promised to ask the two and see if their suspicions were correct.

This mission helped keep both their minds off the upcoming event, or at least their worries over it. They still shared their joy at their unborn child, and still took delight when said child performed tucks and rolls that disturbed the smooth line of Margaret's belly, but kept their minds busy in those other moments.

If Margaret was patiently, and quietly, bearing the changes her last days of pregnancy wrought, Fanny was loudly and persistently complaining about hers. This was likely going to be an only child, between Fanny's outbursts and her husband's predilection for women he wasn't married to. The two of them would make sure she never entered that delicate condition again. John thanked his lucky stars every day that Margaret was not so delicate a creature as his sister.

Early one morning, about a week after the doctor's last visit, Margaret woke to a gush of liquid between her legs. John woke too, as the warm wetness invaded his space. Their sleepy gazes locked on each other, quickly replaced by surprise, and then cautious joy. Speaking at the same time, they cried out.