In truth, she hadn't screamed at all, just those occasional gasps of shock when every time the ghost in question had popped up out of nowhere. Victor would still tease though. It was still a mystery how he knew and had leaned in every time she gasped, and said in her ear, "Scared?"

"Besides," Victor sighed lazily, slumping back a little bit more into the pillow. "A psychic back in my hometown had said that I'll die drowning in the water, not by getting shot or something."

Kate frowned. "A psychic?"

Victor clucked his tongue. "Just a weird gypsy woman my mother is acquainted with. Mom has got this crazy bunch of friends I tell you, and you wouldn't believe how unconventional it gets when she throws a little party or a dinner when I go home."

Kate was about to inquire more about the subject of psychic, drowning and his mother's crazy parties, a cute frown mixed with equal amounts of worry and curiosity marring her forehead. But then a staff with hospital food arrived.

Victor made a face at that and Kate chuckled, "Oh hell, it's your time to enjoy the yummy food now."

--

Alex sniffled, feeling fleeting dust in the chilly wind tickle his nostrils. His eyes shot up, and just as he'd doubted, there were clouds. 

What was it with this city, with Asthel? 

Without a care for the season, out of nowhere rain would befall on unaware victims here. It was not like this back in South-hills, rain was limited there in the boundaries of seasons. People would know what to except and how to be prepared about it. Asthel, on the other hand, was more like a land filled with unexpected instances - of surprise grunts in the sky, of the darkening of clouds, of wet trickles down one's shoulder, a mighty cold sweep of breeze, of feeling caught off-guard and frantic search of a shade.

As the first drop fell on Alex's right cheek, he shivered, goosebumps filled his arms. This reaction was a first, he detected of himself. 

He took a few reversed steps, walking backwards and then turning around to storm up the steps and into the hospital building. He stopped only after he was out of the light drizzling.

The police officer that was with him was a few steps behind. 

"A police car will patrol past her apartment building every half-hour," the officer said, removing his hat and began shaking it fiercely to have the loose drops of water fall off from it. 

Alex stepped away a little, not wanting to get himself drenched. 

But then again, why was his throat getting so dry?

"Doesn't sound good enough security measure to me," Alex scowled. "What if she gets attacked in between those half-hours."

"We have checked the security arrangement of her apartment, it sounds good enough. There're CCTV cameras, a security guard sitting just inside the ground floor entrance," the officer said. "Look, if you still think we're not doing enough, then, please, by all means hire a bodyguard from one of those professional detective and security companies."

Alex's lips pressed into a thin line. The suggestion grating at his skin, his stomach dropping in humiliation. For he was no more able to provide for the woman he loved, nor he could anymore arrange the things that were so desperately needed to protect her. 

His state was equivalent to a handicap, and the excruciating knowledge a burden on his shoulders, weighing him down each moment, incessantly.

There was once a time when he had it all, and for the best part of it he had taken for granted all that wealth. Now he found, how it felt like being almost penniless.