Chapter 17

For a few initial moments, Kate was gripped by shock.

Images of the magazines out at the parlor of Alex's office flashed before her eyes. She had to admit that Maya looked every bit deserving of her supermodel status.

She also had to admit that Maya was far more beautiful than her, flawless.

And Alex had chosen her.

The reality felt painful, especially when the woman stood right in front of her upon whom the man she had given her all had chosen to shower all his love instead.

Kate sighed discreetly as Maya still stared at her as if the woman had all the patience in the world, but that was not the case with Kate.

She wasn't up for any more drama on her way home now. It was a hot shower and hearty dinner that she was looking forward to, considering that very soon, Chemotherapy would rob her of the right to relish delicious foods.

Yes, the doctor and her homework on the internet had been really informative. She was now very much aware of the torturous side effects of this Chemotherapy treatment.

So, Kate began walking again, faster this time. She decided she would just walk past Maya.

Whatever shit Maya had obviously prepared to throw her way was already stinking throughout her intuition.

Kate could almost smell it.

"Running away again?" 

Kate stilled, her back facing Maya, who chuckled a little.

"Good thing," Maya said. There was a hint of a smile in her tone. "So, now that we know of your fantastic skills of going to hell, why don't you do that again? I don't want you loitering around, Alex."

"We're in love with each other, Kate. He's moved on with me," Maya said with blissful confidence. "So keep it in mind that you're to, in no way, come between us. I won't tolerate it, and you won't like the consequences."

Maya's voice lowered meaningfully, the threat very clear.

It irritated Kate. Clenching her fists, she whirled around slowly and faced Maya. "It's not my problem that you feel insecure because of my presence," she tilted her head and calmly looked at Maya. "It's you who's come between us. Alex is still a very much married man, it's the truth, despite there's barely anything left of that marriage, and that makes you his mistress no matter how you like to see it."

It was satisfying to witness the mask of pride and bliss slip off Maya's face, anger quickly taking the vacant place.

No weapon is more lethal than the weapon named truth.

And Kate was very much pleased with the moment with the effect of this weapon. Without wasting any more time, she turned around and was walking away when she heard Maya below.

"You bitch! I should've just . . . "

Maya paused mid-sentence for some reason, not completing what useless threat she'd thought to hurl her way. Kate heaved a sigh, her shoulders relaxing the more she was walking away from the irritating woman.

However, Maya was still not done. She, apparently, had one last weapon hidden in her stock for the parting bit. "He proposed to me. We're getting married, and you'll soon find him throwing the divorce papers in your face," Maya spat. "Just what a filthy woman like you deserve."

The news made Kate falter at her steps. She felt her heart stop there for a second, her stomach lurching painfully.

So, they were going to get married.