Rogues and Packs.

I woke up to the sun coming in through the window. I had shifted back at some point in my sleep and even though I was still on top of the blankets, I was sweating. I knew that it was because of the nightmare but seeing as I could never remember it, I couldn't get much help. I jumped off the bed and headed straight for the shower. Turning the water so it was lukewarm, I started to scrub scent free shampoo in my hair and let it sit while I scrubbed my body till my black tattoos stood out on my red skin. I rinsed everything off and stepped out, I didn't bother with a towel; I just shifted back into wolf form and shook myself dry. When I shifted back I walked over to the window, set the lock on it and raised it up to the safety lock to allow the room to air dry. I stepped out of the bathroom and headed to my closet, knowing that Mike would want me to actually wear something that would cover most of my tattoos for the party. I grabbed a black top and a pair of bell bottom jeans. Slipping on a bra and underwear I headed to the kitchen carrying my set of clothes. Just as I started making bacon I heard the front door open. I knew that they were coming so I didn't move; I just stayed silent (as I could with the bacon popping) and listened to the foot falls. They were slow, like he was trying to sneak up on me.

"I know you're there Mike, you can't sneak up behind me. I heard the door open, so no matter how much lubrication you give that hinge, I'm always going to hear you open the door." I said calmly.

"Dang it, I was hoping to get something out of you." Mike said as he walked into my kitchen. "Wow are you actually wearing a bra and underwear, that's a first, and is this a t-shirt and jeans? I can't believe that you actually own these articles of clothing." He said as he picked up the shirt.

"I figured you'd want me to wear actual clothing to this thing today so I had to hunt for it." I calmly stated. I picked the bacon right up out of the pan, and took a big bite out of it. Yummy, nice and crispy. I thought to myself.

"So are you upset about this, knowing that the chance of you finding a mate is just the same as someone with paralysis swimming across the Pacific Ocean?" He asked, keeping his eyes down. He may seem like a big tough alpha but he really did care about all the members of his pack. It hurt him when he knew that someone wouldn't be happy at some point in their lives. I finished off the bacon and cleaned the pan before putting the shirt and pants on (bacon has grease and tends to fall apart; I didn't need any of that on my shirt or pants).

"Alpha, I'm a warrior, male wolves are built to survive the death of their mate, it's painful for the rest of their lives but they live through it until their job is done, that is why the male is at least the same strength of the female because a no matter how powerful the female is, she won't survive the death of her mate. So to answer your question, no, I'm not upset about the fact that I don't have a chance to get a mate because even though I'm one of the last of my powerful breed, I won't live to see the sun fall after my mate's death." I said calmly, even though I felt the pain that every female feels when she believes that she'll be lonely for the rest of her life.

"You do realize that there is a chance that you can find warrior male right?" He asked, slowly raising his head to look me in the eye.

"Yes, but it was a challenge for my mother to find one, she was in a huge pack of warriors before the hunters came and slaughtered them, only a few managed to escape. My mom right then believed that she would never find her mate. My mother was in her mid-twenties before she met dad, and it was all by chance. She had planned on leaving town the night before but was so exhausted by the end of the day she decided that she would leave the next morning. Dad was in a small cluster of warriors, maybe twenty in the group. They had planned on just going through the town my mom was staying in before they started wearing down and slept in the same motel that my mom was in. Shortly after my 5th birthday, the hunters found the group and mom recognized one as one of the ones who attacked her pack. She hid me in the closet and told me to hide in the hideaway just under the floor boards. They all died that night; the hunters are killing us off faster than we are being made. Also warriors normally travel in groups, because I was so young I latched onto the first shifter I could find and that happened to be you, even though you're not technically a shifter.  I highly doubt a small group of warriors are going to show up for this thingy today so just drop it." I told him as I leaned against the counter.