Chapter 5

"Kazuto?"

Silence was her only reply.

"Hey, Kazuto? It's me, it's (Y/N). Are you..?"

Kirito kept his back turned to the (h/c) girl.

There was a small sigh. "Look, I know hearing someone die isn't pleasant, but I need help."

"Hearing someone die isn't pleasant," Kirito mimicked, lips curling up into a sneer. "Thank you for that information. I'm going to get a college degree with it."

(Y/N) flinched back, holding her hands up, palms facing the ceiling. "Can we talk about this later? I need to finish cleaning."

They were both sprawled around Lux's room, boxes lining the bare walls. (Y/N) stood up, holding three or four books in her arms. Kirito sighed and pushed himself off the bed, fumbling with a few other books, placing them neatly into a box. (Y/N) followed his example.

It took hours. There were no words exchanged between the two throughout the process of cleaning out Lux's room.

"Where are you putting these boxes?" Kirito asked her quietly, closing the lid on one of the boxes.

"The attic." (Y/N) replied dully. She set down Lux's phone and sighed softly, sitting down on the floor.

There was a beat of silence between the two.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you." (Y/N) mumbled. "I just didn't know what else to do.."

"It's fine." Kirito replied gently. "I get it. It's fine. Losing someone is stressful."

(Y/N) nodded, playing with a picture. She set it down on the ground in front of them and smiled faintly.

"What's that?" Kirito asked, leaning forward. He collapsed onto his face, propping himself up on his elbows.

"Remember when we went to the beach? Me, you, and Lux?"

"When Lux was adopted by a dolphin?"

"Yeah, that time." (Y/N) laughed.

"We went to the aquarium and she insisted that we went swimming with the dolphins, right?"

"Yeah, and when we went in, the same dolphin kept going back to her!"

"I stole the dolphin from her!" Kirito laughed as well.

"She was so mad." (Y/N) grinned widely. "And then after we got out and dried off, you nudged her and she fell into the pool again!"

Kirito was cackling now. "And the same damn dolphin pushed her back!"

"She hugged it for like five minutes." (Y/N) added, nudging Kirito playfully. "We had to pull her out! We almost dragged the dolphin out too!"

"We almost murdered a dolphin!" Kirito gasped dramatically, flipping onto his side.

The two lapsed into fits of giggles, bumping shoulders and shaking with laughter. It took a while, but they finally calmed down long enough for Kirito to stand up and brush himself off. (Y/N) followed him, doing the same.

"What about her phone?" Kirito asked, gesturing to the lonely phone on the dresser.

(Y/N) glanced at it, a heartbroken expression flashing across her face. "I.. I dunno. I guess I'll just shut down the cellular and leave it there.. I don't think I could bring myself to get rid of it, even if I tried too."

Kirito smiled at that. "Yeah." He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry." He murmured, looking her in the eyes before dropping his hand to his side. "I should get going. I'm not going to be able to go to school tomorrow, not after this. You?"

"Not going to school." (Y/N) replied.

Kirito nodded, turning for the door.

"Stay here." (Y/N) blurted out. "We have extra blankets and pillows. And the couch is really comfortable. So stay." She covered her mouth and turned away. "If you want."

Kirito smiled. "If you want." He agreed, picking his phone up and placing it in his pocket. "Let's go get those pillows."

"We need to call Asuna." (Y/N) realized. "If you don't show up at school tomorrow, she'll freak out and call you one hundred times.

Kirito shivered. The (h/c) haired girl was right. Asuna would, no mercy. He pulled out his phone, unlocking it. He pulled up the phone app and hesitated.

"Call her." (Y/N) murmured.

And Kirito dialed her number.

665 words, not counting this blurb. Not bad, I guess?

Sorry this isn't longer. I wanted to get this out to prove I'm not dead. Schools out! I can write more, woo!

Also, I'll be going back and making revisions to the older chapters. They.. Uh.. No way to put his lightly. They suck. I had them. If I wasn't so emotionally invested in making my dearest reader, Kirito, and Asuna suffer, I would have deleted this.

Well. Time to go. I'll see you next time!

Gonna try and update once a week. Won't work out, but let's do it anyway! *claps hands cheerfully*

DISCLAIMER

I own nothing stated in this story, except Lux. But she's dead. So I don't own anything in this, do I?