Voicemail

Ally woke up that morning to the sound of her phone ringing. Not ready to wake up yet, she let it go to voicemail. Seconds later it started ringing again, forcing her to sit up and look at who it was disturbing her sleep. It was her best friend
"It's 7am, what do you want?"
"Oh Jesus Ally , did you hear about what happened?" She heard her as soon as she answered
"No, why?"
"It's Connor...you need to look at the news right now" She said before hanging up. To say she was confused was an understatement. Her friend knew very well that Ally and Connor didn't talk anymore, so what involving the tall blonde could possibly be this crucial to her life? She got out of bed and headed to her living room, checking her phone in the process. One missed call, one voicemail. Both from Connor. Now she was even more confused. She sat down on her couch and turned on the tv, the news channel already on.
"And tragedy strikes with the report that Connor O'Brien, 18 year old man, was pronounced dead at 4:12am this morning. Cause of death; alcohol poisoning. The body was found in downtown earlier today by paramedics. Connor's friend Harry Coleman, contacted authorities after receiving a call from his Friend in which Connor stated that he didn't know where he was, and that he couldn't stop throwing up. Harry instantly called 911, worried for his friends health, only for it to be too late-"
It felt as though all the air has been sucked from Ally's lunges, like a punch to the face, like her world was crumbling down around her. It had to be a mistake, it couldn't be real, she thought.
But it was.
And to make matters worse, it was in that moment she remembered the voicemail. With shaky hands she unlocked her phone, and began to play the message. The minutes she heard his voice tears started pouring from her eyes. He sounded so broken and sad... was that because of her?
"I know you don't want to talk to me right now. Or ever for that matter" He was wrong, he was so so wrong.
"It all happened so quickly" She remembered it like it was yesterday, everything changed that day.
"All the parties and drinks and girls" They drifted apart faster than either of them had anticipated. Never seeing each other hurt more than expected.
"All I could think about was how much I missed you" He would never get to know just how much she missed him to, he would never get to hear her say that she still wanted him even after everything that happened.
"I'll never forgive myself for hurting you that badly" She wanted to scream it in his face that she was okay, that it was all okay. She had already forgiven him.
"I hope you have a good life Ally" no no no no, didn't he understand? She couldn't possible imagine herself happy without him, especially not with the knowledge that he was gone.
"Goodbye..." violent sobs racked through her body as she sank further back on the couch, curling into a fetal position. She stayed there for hours listening over and over again to the last piece of Connor she would ever have...